Thursday, January 11, 2007

Shiver State

Daily Quote: "Probably nothing in the world arouses more false hopes than the first four hours of a diet." --Dan Bennett

Today is SPEEDWORK!
8 miles. Time, 1:09. Pace, 8:37. Life Fitness treadmill set at 1% Grade. Warmup: 1.5 miles @ 6.4 mph. Intervals: 4 X 1 mile @ 7.5 mph (7.5 mph = 8.0 minute per mile pace, which is my half-marathon pace). Recovery Intervals: 1/2 mile @ 6.4 mph. Cooldown: 1 mile @ 6.4 mph. Average Heart Rate: 155 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 169 bpm. I'm improving as the previous week's speedwork my cardiac drift was 179 bpm with only THREE intervals! I felt so strong I felt like I could do another interval, but refrained, must remember my oft repeated advice: baby steps, baby steps.

Scary article in the local "Las Vegas Review Journal" titled, "Shiver State" (Nevada plates call us the "Silver State.") The following is frightening, don't allow small children, fragile winged fairies, or hairless animals to read:

It's about to get cold. Really, really cold.
An arctic air mass from the north will move into Southern Nevada in the coming days, bringing bone-chilling temperatures and probably even a bit of snow.
"No records are going to be approached, but it's still going to be cold," said John Feerick, a forecaster for accuweather.com.
The cold air was expected to hit tonight and linger through the weekend. Highs will hover around 40 degrees, and overnight lows will plunge into the 20s, dropping to the low 20s on Saturday night.
The temperatures will be among the lowest since December 1990, when lows at McCarran International Airport hit 18 degrees.
Weekend lows could hit the teens under the right conditions, said Jim Harrison of the National Weather Service.
The cold weather is expected to bring snow on Friday. Forecasters predicted 1 to 3 inches falling across the valley.
"I wouldn't be surprised if we saw some snow showers, even on the Strip," Feerick said." End of Quote


I just may visit my gym's treadmill this weekend as I really have a hard time tolerating the cold, OR I'll try and get a thicker skin and venture outside, it all depends on my mood.

1 comment:

Allen said...

Put on some extra layers and head for the streets. Give yourself a mile to warm up and you'll enjoy it. You'll probably say, "I should do this more often." Do a slow run and enjoy "Mother Nature". Maybe you'll even see Frosty...