Friday, January 12, 2007

Cold Cruel World

Daily Quote: "As a nation we are dedicated to keeping fit and parking as close to the stadium as possible." -Joe Moore

Today was a Recovery Run.
5 miles. Time, 46 minutes. Pace, 9:12 minute miles. Out & Back, Alta Route (bike path towards Red Rock Canyon). COLD, Cloudy, 30 degrees, with 16 MPH WINDS! Average Heart Rate: 146 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 153 bpm. I've NEVER ran in such cold, windy dismal conditions, naturally dressed too warmly with tights & long basketball shorts, base layer is a long sleeve ProTec thermal top,
top layer is a hooded sweatshirt, topped off with a stocking cap, and wore heavy wool gloves. Luckily this was just a 5 mile Recovery Run as I was too toasty! Tomorrow will experiment with just the ProTec thermal top, tights, lighter gloves, and CoolMax Cap. I do have a warm feeling of accomplishment even though my fear of the cold was highly overrated.

Today was the last day I could use my 30% off coupon from Borders Books. Purchased the "National Geographic Traveler: Boston & Environs with the Cape, Providence & Newport." Although my Boston Marathon isn't until April 2008 it's constantly in the back of my mind...I'm going to implode with excitement before I even arrive in Boston! Wonder WHEN I can officially register for the Boston Marathon? Where will my wife and I stay? How long? (My wife thinks we should stay for five days, but how much will that COST?)

No comments: