Daily Quote: "When I despair, I hear a voice that says, 'You don't know what's going on'" --Marla Runyan, On Running a Marathon as a Blind Woman.
Learned the term "lactate Threshold" two years ago by reading the excellent book, "Advanced Marathoning" by Pfitzinger and Douglas, the definition is:
"Lactate threshold--The exercise intensity above which your rate of lactate production is substantially greater than your rate of lactate clearance. At effort levels above your lactate threshold, the lactate concentration rises in your muscles and blood. The hydrogen ions associated with lactate production inactivate the enzymes for energy production and may interfere with the uptake of calcium, thereby reducing the muscles' ability to contract. You can't, therefore, maintain a pace faster than your lactate threshold pace for more than a few miles. For well-trained runners, lactate threshold usually occurs at 15k to half marathon pace." END OF QUOTE.
Today's run is a "Lactate Threshold" workout. I was nervous before starting today's run as I haven't done a threshold workout since last year's marathon training, nevertheless, my morning wakeup pulse was 42 bpm, no aches nor pains, and I've completed my postmarthon recovery training... all systems are GO!
8 miles. Time, 1:09. Overall Pace, 8:37. Life Fitness Treadmill set at 1% grade. Warmup: 2 miles @ 6.4 mph. Tempo: 4 miles @ 7.5 mph (8:00 minute miles, which is my half marathon pace) Cooldown: 2 miles @ 6.4 mph. Average heart rate: 158 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 172 bpm. Tough workout, but not as hard as I thought it would be as cardiac drift during last year's threshold run was 176 bpm...appears I'm stronger now and may wish to consider my half-marathon goal pace. I did run in my racing shoes today, ASICS Gel DS Trainers that undoubtedly helped with the easier threshold pace. My next threshold run I'll strive to run at 7.6 bpm, which should be closer to lactate threshold.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Ok, Bruce, honorable teacher,
I'm pretty dumb about this. Start with a LSD pace defined as talking in complete sentences. Then list the various paces up to the fastest which I would call a sprint. And, give me some simple way to tell what pace I'm running on a particular day. Giving %of max is a good way for me to recognize what pace I'm doing.
-- your devoted student
Bruce, I have thought you should reconsider your half marathon pace for awhile now but figured you were aiming low because you want assurance in meeting your goal. I think 7:50 pace would not be a stretch for you. Personally, I think you are capable of running faster than you do. But that is because I think we are comprable runners and I know I can do 7:45 per mile for a half so I don't see why you can't.
Howdy Allen! Your wish is my command.
-Recovery Run: <70% of Heart Rate Reserve.
-Endurance Training: 65-80% of Heart Rate Reserve.
-Lactate Threshold: 75-90% of Heart Rate Reserve.
-Vo2 Max Training: 85-95% of Heart Rate Reserve.
Also general HR maximal effort level for standard races:
5k: 90%
10k: 85%
Half Marathon: 75%
Marathon: 75%
Howdy Nat! I do tend to be too conservative with my racing goals, probably because I don't race very often and I'm not quite sure what my current condition equates to what race pace...I find it hard to believe sometimes that I'm not a beginner anymore, but now an intermediate runner.
You flatter me, I think you're a little faster than I am, but I'm hoping to close the gap this year with more mileage, faster speedwork and better diet (less body weight). WATCH OUT!!
Gosh, a 7:45 per mile pace for a half would be FANTASTIC for me as I ran last August in the GSL Half Marathon with a 8:24 minute per mile pace!! Therefore, I thought an 8:00 minute per mile pace would be a good improvement and reachable goal. Do you really think I could run a half marathon with a 7:45 per mile pace??? I'll probably tweak my race pace strategy when I get closer to the race.
Howdy Allen!
OPPS, made a typo in my previous comment,
Half Marathon: 80%
Marathon: 75%
Thanks, Bruce! Is a tempo run one of those listed? If not, what are its characteristics?
Howdy Allen! The Lactate Threshold workout would be considered a tempo run. Many types of tempo runs as their are races. For example, my 5k tempo runs would be much quicker than a marathon tempo run, it all depends on your goals. The typical characteristics of a tempo run is a good warmup (normally 1-2 miles), then a comfortably fast run that's at least 20 minutes long with the target pace moderately slower than race pace, followed by a good cool down (normally 1-2 miles). The physiological effect of a tempo run is that it reduces lactic acid accumlation at any speed. I'm not exactly an expert at running terminology, but have accumulated bits and pieces from reading everything from running magazines, books, and striving to find answers for others at about.com. Nat has also purchased my favorite marathon training book, "Advanced Marathoning" by Pfitzinger and Douglas and will eventually be more knowledgeable than me!
Post a Comment