Saturday, January 6, 2007

FIRST Week Summary

Daily Quote: "Play is exultation of the possible." --Martin Buber

Today's run was done on the treadmill as to avoid the 38 degree cold and 12 mph winds. I really need to get a tougher skin and run outside no matter how cold and windy.

Recovery Run. 6 miles. Time, :56 minutes. Pace, 9:20 minute miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% Grade. All miles were at 6.4 mph. Average Heart Rate: 152 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 161 bpm. Yesterday was a hard interval workout and tomorrow is a 12 mile long run, hopefully today's recovery run that's sandwiched between two tough days is enough rest for my old body.

My last year's running logbook had the end of the week's training on Sunday, my new running logbook has the week's training ending on Saturday, hence I'll be making a summary of my weekly runs every Saturday.

Summary: Total miles: 45. Longest Run: 10 miles. Shortest Run: 6 miles. A good strong postmarathon recovery week (Pfitz's "Advanced Marathoning" postmarathon schedule is five weeks long), I've added a sixth day of running, increased my weekly mileage to 45 mpw, and lost three pounds last week! My morning pulse rate last week has been fairly steady averaging between 43-46 bpm. Body feels good, no major aches or pains and will increase my mileage next week. Although with some trepedation, next week I'm concerned about the extra work stress as Monday is the beginning of the huge Consumer Electronic Show that'll last through Friday and my energy may be low due to driving a cab non-stop for 12-hours in crazy traffic around the three convention centers. I'll do the best I can.

5 comments:

Tall Girl Running said...

Bruce, you're a blogging natural! I've been enjoying your entries.

I've never heard of a post-marathon recovery schedule before. I really wish I had as I am certain I tried to do too much, too soon after my marathon last summer, which I think contributed to my knee injury. Live and learn, I guess.

By the way, I also have lost a couple of those dreadful holiday pounds. Give me another week and the rest of them will be history. It was SO worth it. ;-)

Allen said...

A simple way to create a post-marathon schedule is to take your 3-week taper going into the marathon and reverse it to come out from the marathon. Depending on how your body feels, you might want a longer reverse taper coming out of the marathon. Same thing can be done for half-marathons.

My background is engineering, so it is natural for me to think of things mathematically, and I usually do a "binary" taper which means that runs in a new week are about half the distance of the previous week. In computer lingo, the word "binary" refers to 2 or 1/2 or double. For example, in folding a sheet or blanket, many people fold it in halves and the halves in half, etc. That is a quick way to reduce the size of the resulting sheet or blanket.

robison52 said...

Thanks Angie! Yup, the post-marathon recovery is the extension of the 70+ miles per week marathon schedule that was published in "Advanced Marathoning," which I've using the book's schedules for three years now. A FIVE week recovery does seem a little long, but it works for me (probably because I snuck in an EXTRA day of running last week) We do live and learn, funny, I'm always learning something new to this simple sport of placing one foot in front of another!

robison52 said...

Howdy Allen! I may try your 3-week reverse taper after my 2007 New Las Vegas Marathon, as April of 2008 I'll be running BOSTON, and will need a shorter taper than my usual 5 weeks so I can quickly start training again. I don't have a mathematical mind and I'm very impressed with those who do...although when I was young I had a great memory (pattern recognition and spatial memory).

Allen said...

Since you're a chess master, I think you still have your great memory! Me? My memory is long, yellow, and has an eraser on top :)