Daily Quote: "Nurmi said, 'Success in sport, as in almost anything, comes from devotion. The athlete must make a devotion of his specialty.' Having a challenging but reasonable marathon goal provides you with the necessary object of devotion. Intelligent, thorough preparation for that goal provides the confidence needed to attack that goal. Do the right training, and both your body and your mind will benefit." --Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglass, from the book "Advanced Marathoning."
I have finally increased the speed of my Tempo Run today!
9:10 a.m. Tempo Run, 8 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. Warm-up: 2 miles at 6.3 mph (9:31 minute miles). Tempo: 4 miles at 7.9 mph (7:36 minute miles). Cool-down: 2 miles at 6.3 mph. Average heart rate: 166 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 185 bpm. (Note: My maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) Extremely Hard Workout!! The last mile of the tempo was a killer, I was panting, huffing, puffing and swearing at myself under my breath...came within beats of my maximum heart rate. I haven't ran this hard in a very long time, I'm going to stay at this tempo speed for a couple of weeks of adaptation before I increase the speed again.
Nice thing about today's workout, I wasn't thinking at all about the possible strike at Checker Cab Company, my only concern was staying on the treadmill's belt for dear life! I left the gym exhausted, but feeling euphoric...did I really run that fast for that long!?!? I have a jaunt in my step today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Great job, Tempo Runs are my least favorite run I ever do.
Congrats on a great run! Have you ever fallen off a treadmill?? I have come quite close. :)
Howdy Sarah, Nope, I haven't fallen off a treadmill, but in the past I've dropped CD Player, towels, bottle of water. I've seen a woman fall off a treadmill, she was pretty embarrased and left the gym quickly.
I hope to be back on track running & blogging some today or tomorrow. We still have alot of straightening up to do, but our stuuf is over there, but just in boxes, bags, etc.
GREAT TEMPO RUN: I can't wait to see your "Marathon-Finish". You sure kicked butt with this workout, and that for sure gives me the "Heart-to-Train".
Take Care & God bless,
Jimmy....
Great job on the run, Bruce. I'm glad it gave you a jaunt in your step!
Post a Comment