Friday, October 3, 2008

Apples and Peanut Butter

Daily Quote: "Everyone knows apples are good for you, but they're not always, well, satisfying. Try eating apple slices with a little bit of peanut butter, which is a great source of healthful fat and protein. Opt for all-natural peanut butter to steer clear of added sugar and hydrogenated oils." --Christine Luff, Running Guide at about.com

I live in Las Vegas and my immediate thought when I read Christine's above quote was Elvis Presley's love for fried peanut butter and banana sandwiches, which is the opposite of the healthy apples and peanut butter. I've never tried peanut butter on apples, doesn't sound that appetizing, but today took a leap and gave the healthy snack a try...I was surprised how good the taste and totally filling...I now have a new healthy snack in my diet arsenal!! Thank you Christine.

2:15 a.m. (after work) Warm-up, 10 minutes on the elliptical machine. 35 minutes on Weight Circuit Training. Cool-down, 10 minutes on the upright stationary cycle. TGIF, I have this weekend to look forward with my wife, it has been a very stressful week and I have this feeling of impending doom.

Slept soundly for eight hours. Morning heart rate: 40 bpm. Decided on a small lunch rather than my normal breakfast, had one of my staples, Lean Pocket's Low-Fat Ham & Cheddar.

11:30 a.m. Medium-Long Run. 16 miles. Time, 2:26. Overall pace, 9:07 minute miles. Out and back on Jones Boulevard to Russell Road and is my first time running this route. Partly Cloudy, 79-84 degrees, winds south at 9 mph. Jones Boulevard is a busy four-lane road and ran mostly on the concrete sidewalk, which is the main reason I've never trained on this route. The change of scenery distracted me so significantly that before I knew it the run was over! It's nice to have "Garfield" (nickname for my Garmin) as I can run anywhere I want and it'll record the data. Ran faster than last Friday with no aches nor pain. I now need to rush to work and grab something to eat once I get in my cab.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

We like similar snacks! :) I love apples and peanut butter. The Lean Pockets are yummy too! Have a great weekend!

Lily on the Road said...

Yummy apples with anything is good to me! Granny Smith & PB, now that's heaven, oh, Granny Smith with warm brie cheese....even yummier!

Happy Saturday!

Marci said...

Apples and PB all the way! I am a PB fannatic. Try a frozen pb and bannana sundae. Just slice a bananna, slap on PB, freeze. SO YUMMY and healthy!

Tanya said...

I know it's practically un-American, but I hate peanut butter; I can't even stand the smell. But I do like apples! And Lean Pockets are the best. I have them all the time for lunch.

Kim said...

PB and apples are yummy. Laurel has it ALL right with the Granny Smith apples. They are THE BEST. And with brie...can't get much better!

Thanks for stopping by. PLEASE take my lessons learned on my 50K attempt! If they help anyone get through better than I did-it has served its purpose!

The Running Bob said...

Going out on a limb here, I suppose the apple pie with caramel and whip cream topping isn't on your snack list. But, my god, it was good!

BeachRunner said...

PB rules! The jar and a spoon works for me.

Allen said...

I'm a jar and spoon guy too, as long as the PB is natural.