Friday, October 10, 2008

STRIKE!!!

Daily Quote: "Running celebrates our commonality. Are we human because we can run on two feet, or does running make us human? I know I feel more like myself when I run, even if it's only a few miles, or at least I feel like the self I like best. Running inspires creativity, relieves stress, and gives us insight into ourselves and the world, making the human condition more tolerable." --Bart Yasso, from his entertaining book, "My Life On the Run, The Wit, Wisdom and Insights of a Road Racing Icon."

Last night I received two text messages on my cell phone:

Message #1, Alliance (Union): The Vote on the Company's Contract proposal is 808 NO and 11 YES. Yellow, Checker and Star drivers to a authorize strike is 787 YES and 28 NO.

Message #2, Alliance (Union): Attention ITPE Union Members: We need volunteers to form strike committees. Contact ITPE Union between 9am and 5pm.

I have no idea when we'll actually get on the picket lines, but undoubtedly soon. Hopefully the company realizes how serious the drivers are about the contract's proposal of a pay-cut and will return to the bargaining table.

I didn't sleep well last night due to stresses about work and how we'll meet our daily expenses, therefore I awoke at an unusual early hour of 6:00 a.m. and decided to run.

6:10 a.m. Medium-Long Run, 16 miles. Time, 2:24. Overall pace, 9:02 minute miles. Cooler, 60-63 degrees with 12 mph winds. Ran a rather zig-zag route, through the Spring Preserve, under the Fremont Street Experience canopy, down the Strip and then returned home. Average heart rate, 144 bpm. Cardiac drift: 150 bpm. I was able to become comfortably exhausted and returned to bed for another two hours of sleep.

I'm going to have to consider cost cutting measures on my expenses, the first to go would be the cable television, the Internet service, and cell phones. I'll continue writing on this blog as long as I can; I may follow Jimmy Jacobs idea of writing his blog at the public library's terminals whenever he can find the time.

I can't justify spending $100 for the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon entry fee and may not run it this year, that'll break my 7 year streak for running the Las Vegas Marathon. I'll continue to train for the marathon, hoping that the strike will end soon and life returns to normal.

10 comments:

Marianne said...

Ah Bruce! I'm SO sorry! I hope that everything is resoved quickly and that you don't have to cut measures so drastically!

On a side note; determine which is more expensive you phone bill or your cell bill and go with the cheapest. There is almost no reason anymore to have a house phone since the cell can do everything! I've been 100% cellular for 5 years now and absolutely love it! Just a thought. Does the LV marathon have a charity section? maybe you can raise the money for the registration fee. Good luck,
Marianne

DuckvilleRunner said...

Sorry to hear the news. I pray that everything works out for the best, and that it will be quickly resolved.

LIrunner9 said...

So sorry to hear the news. Praying that all gets wored out quickly and resolved even quicker!!

The Running Bob said...

I hope the strike is quick and the contract favorable. I agree that you need to continue your streak of L.V. marathons. Losing the cable won't be a big deal as all there is these days is bad, depressing news. Mentally, you'll probably be better-off without CNN!

Great idea about updating at the library! If you can, try to update at least once a week at the library as we like to keep tabs on your progress!

As for money saving ideas: I, too, only have a cell phone. I don't even miss the land line nor need one. Second, although it doesn't seem manly, I'm an avid coupon cutter and only purchase things we need or is on sale. Third, we had a couple of garage sales and sold things on Craigslist to purge items that we never use or will use. The little extra cash infusion was well-timed as well as a clutter-free home.


Good luck and we look forward to your next post!

WendyBird said...

Dittos on everyone's comments! You will be in my thoughts and prayers for a quick resolution to the contract issues.

Tanya said...

Sorry to hear about the strike. It's tough not knowing what's going to happen; I'll be thinking about you and hoping all works out in your favor

Juan Lopez Exposito, autor colectivo. said...

you are my man. excellent dedication. good luck in work. greatings from spain.

Lily on the Road said...

Oh Boy,

Keep up with your training...you just never know where it will lead you...keeping fit, keeping sane.

Please, go to the library...you need to keep in touch with us, just as we need to keep in touch with you...

I truly hope things are ratified soon....I'm the opposite to Marianne, keep your landline, get rid of the cell....but that's just me, but I love her idea about fund raising...

Chin up, if we can help, let us know....my thoughts are with you...

Allen said...

After the strike is over, maybe you'll find that some of the things you eliminated from your life don't need to come back. If so, then the strike will have been a positive experience for you.

Sherri said...

oh man, sorry about this. hope it all works out. I remember my dad going on strike at GE when I was a kid and we would always go on free meals at school during those times.
Hate to see you give up running the marathon because of this