Daily Quote: "Skinny runners know that it's better to eat several small meals and snacks throughout the day than to eat a huge breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Eating every three to four hours helps stabilize your blood sugar and prevents you from binging in between meals and overeating when you sit down for a meal. Eating mini meals also helps maintain your energy levels throughout the day, so you're more likely to have more energy for exercise." --Christine Luff, Running Guide at about.com
I've been eating every 3-4 hours for several years now and first read about this eating plan from Bill Phillips' book, "Body for Life," that's been on the New York Times Best Seller List for years! When I first tried dieting and exercising I would strive to eat practically nothing during the day, and then at night due to my extreme hunger I would binge on everything in sight, considered myself a failure, and then tried the same vicious cycle the next day. No wonder why I wasn't losing weight, but gaining pounds every week! I'm now in the habit of eating several times a day and know what is my appropriate portion sizes. I'm now 171 pounds on a six foot frame and only six more pounds to lose to reach my racing weight of 165 pounds...doable since I have until December 7th for my marathon.
It's Thursday and time for "Doubles!"
2:15 a.m. After work. Recovery Run. Out and back on Decatur Boulevard, which has busier traffic and intersections, but is well lighted... Cool, 71 degrees, little wind, 6 miles. Time, 59:58. Pace, 9:59 minute miles. Average heart rate: 142 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 145 bpm. Haven't ran this slowly in weeks, I'm still fatigued from yesterday's Tempo Run and gave myself an easier run.
Slept 7 1/2 hours. Morning heart rate was 40 bpm. Ate a quick breakfast of Cheerios, I'm out of fruit and had to eat the cereal plain, need to stop for groceries sometime tomorrow.
11:00 a.m. Recovery Run. 6 miles. Time, 59:00. Out and back on Charleston Boulevard. Warm, 85 degrees with winds north at 5 mph. Isn't Vegas ever going to cool down this fall? Average heart rate: 144 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 148 bpm. Charleston Boulevard is the main route to Red Rock Canyon. I ran the same routes this week, which is already getting a little old...since I own a Garmin don't need to be a slave to any course, will experiment with different routes in the near future.
I'm still stressed about my current employment at Checker Cab Company as the threat of a strike looms. Today is a Special Contract Meeting regarding the company's best and final contract offer. The union meeting will be at the Riviera Hotel & Casino Convention Center held at 6:00 p.m.
Next Monday we'll have a vote at ITPE Union Headquarters to either approve or reject the Company's offer....this will give the members 48 hours PLUS to vote. A vote to reject the company's offer will also authorize my local union to call for a strike when appropriate. What a fine time for a strike! Contract expires every four years and we've been working without a contract since last November, now everything is coming to a head during the country's financial crisis.
I'm torned, as the company is trying to cut our wages by 7% and we're already making less than minimum wage most days as we're paid by commission with no hourly wage nor salary. (I'm currently getting 42% in commission). I can't afford the company's offer, nor can I afford to go on strike, a strike vote might be the final nail in our finances. It's a horrible climate in Vegas to start looking for another job as well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Hey! Sorry to hear about your work problems...that must add a lot of unneccesary stress. :( I hope that things work out for you.
Post a Comment