Sunday, October 19, 2008

7 WEEKS UNTIL THE MARATHON

Daily Quote: "We do these things not because they are easy, but because they are hard." -- John F. Kennedy

This weekend was something of an adventure as yesterday I ran six miles on the Calico Trails at Red Rock Canyon and today was another six miler at the Springs Preserve. I've got the wanderlust because I'm getting burned out with the same old routes from my front door. I also need more runs on the trails for preparation as my very first ultra race is this coming April. I wore my road training shoes on the trails, which was far from ideal, I'll need to hint to my wife that I need trail running shoes for Christmas!

Our bowling team, "One Wonders" lost all four games in the Bishop Gorman League tonight. I did fairly well bowling, but my teammates were way below their bowling averages. Oh well, we're not that competitive anyway, primarily bowling for fun and fitness...as I kept reminding myself as we crept farther and farther behind in the league's standings.

SUMMARY FOR WEEK OF OCTOBER 13-19, 2008

I have seven weeks left until the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon!! Last week was Recovery Week and ran a total of 59 miles. I won't be having any Recovery Weeks during the next four weeks of higher mileage and then will have a three week taper. Checker Cab Company could still go on Strike, but I'm pretending I'll be able to run the marathon anyways.

Arrgggghhh!! I gained three pounds last week, undoubtedly I didn't cut back on calories during my Recovery Week. I'm now 174 pounds on a six foot frame. It's going to be difficult to reach my racing weight of 165 pounds this year. I need to focus more on diet, but not go overboard so I don't have fuel for my runs and for rebuilding my muscles.

I managed to do THREE weight circuit sessions last week!! It's easy to find time for lifting weights when I'm not doing "doubles" due to Recovery Week. It's going to be a challenge to lift weights this week as I gradually build up more mileage.

I was able to achieve 7-8 hours of sleep every night last week! My morning heart rates have been good, averaging between 38-41 bpm.

A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Long Run, 16 miles.
Tuesday: Recovery Run, 6 miles.
Wednesday: General Aerobic Run, 8 miles.
Thursday: Recovery Run, 6 miles.
Friday: Medium Long Run, 11 miles.
Saturday: Recovery Run on trails, 6 miles.
Sunday: Recovery Run on trails, 6 miles.
Total Weekly Mileage: 59 miles.

2 comments:

BeachRunner said...

You are doing great. Running in Red Rock Canyon must have been a delight. Keep up the excellent work.

Anonymous said...

Keep up the great work. Bowling should be for fun! Nutrition is something I seem to struggle with. Overall, I don't eat bad, but I need to make better decisions.