Daily Quote: "Runners with high foot arches tend not to absorb ground impact forces as well as those with normal arches, making them more porone to bone strains and stress fractures in the lower legs. Wearing a running shoe with extra cushioning can attenuate some of this risk. Runners with low arches tend to have less stable hips and knees than their normal-arched counterparts, predisposing them to overuse injuries in these joints. Selecting footwear from the motion-control category of running shoes may help reduce your risk of experiencing knee and hip pain if you have low arches." --Dean Karnazes, from his excellent book, "50/50 Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days and How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!"
I'm flat footed and can wear borderline stability and/or motion control shoes, when I was 250 pounds I wore primarily motion control shoes, now that I'm 172 pounds stability shoes work fine.
8:45 a.m. Long Run. 22 miles. Time, 3:22. Overall pace, 9:12 minute miles. Cooler! Partly cloudy, 62-70 degrees, little wind. Out-and-back on the Las Vegas Marathon course; I'm very fortunate to live only a mile from the marathon's 15 mile marker! Nice steady run and finished strong with the last mile at marathon pace of 8:00 minute miles. Average heart rate: 144 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 153 bpm.
I find that during cooler temperatures I don't need to drink as much fluids and I can run a little faster pace without the extra weight of carry more fluids. My right ankle did complain during the last four miles and will need to RICE it throughout the afternoon and night.
Normally my longest marathon training run is 20 miles, but this year I'll be training through December's marathon as I build my distance for an ultra-marathon this coming April. I'm very happy with my progress this year!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Wow! Sounds like you had a great run! It must be so nice to be off of the treadmill and outside. :)
Way to go, I don't even think I could do 22 miles in my dreams.
Wow, great run!! Your training is going so well. I hope to achieve similar results when I start my basebuilding November 3rd. I don't think I'll build as high mileage as you, but I do strive to run 6 days a week. Hoping to utilize Allens 35 week training plan, but having trouble making it into 52 weeks. LOL Not sure where to add, and what the mileage should be. LOL
You are going to CRUSH Las Vegas on Dec. 7th!!!
Great job! I can't even imagine being able to run that far....you rock!!!! :)
Good job on the run. I, too, find that I don't need water on long runs when it's cool, although my long runs are half the distance of yours! I've been thinking about you lately with your union vote coming up. Hope it works out for you.
Nice job on the run. I too feel like I don't need as much fluids in the cooler temps. Take care of that ankle.
Great job on the 22 miler! Well done!
Post a Comment