Daily Quote: "In the early 1980s, my 46-year-old friend Hagelgans and I rove together to a 10-k race in Nazareth, Pennsylvania. I doubted he would do well because in my 24-year-old-mind he was old; he competed in the masters division. But he kicked my 20-something butt and beat me by 3 minutes. Then there's Ed Whitlock, who ran a 2:54 at the Toronto Waterfront Marathon at age 73 in 2005. These people are changing our perceptions about age and life expectancy." --Bart Yasso, from his entertaining book, "My Life On the Run, The Wit, Wisdom and Insights of a Road Racing Icon."
I'm 56 years old and find Ed Whitlock a fantastic role model for me! My main goal is to be healthy and fit when I reach my 70-80's years young!! I would also like to help other runners when I reach that age as well, and my good friend, Allen Leigh, is another role model as well. Allen's blog "Old Man Running" has many helpful links and is a must read for those who are attempting to learn running and remain injury free...Allen has been running for over 35 years and have had only one injury.
Today is Thursday and it's "Doubles Day!"
2:10 a.m. After work. Recovery Run. Out and back on Decatur Boulevard, which has busier traffic and intersections, but is well lighted... Cool, 67 degrees, little wind, 6 miles. Time, 56:58. Pace, 9:29 minute miles. Average heart rate: 144 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 147 bpm. Last Thursday I was sore and tired due to Wednesday's tough tempo run, this Thursday I'm not so tired or as sore, which shows some adaptation that I'm getting stronger. I also ran considerably faster, with easy effort, which might be because it's cooler.
Slept 8 hours. Morning heart rate was 39 bpm. Ate my usual quick breakfast of Cheerios topped with bananas, which never seems old to me, nevertheless once the temperatures get colder I'll purchase my favorite winter breakfast...Oatmeal!!
11:05 a.m. General Aerobic Run. 7 miles. Time, 1:06. Pace, 9:30 minute miles. Out and back on Charleston Boulevard. Warm, 75 degrees with winds north at 15 mph. Las Vegas is finally getting cooler! Average heart rate: 143 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 149 bpm. Charleston Boulevard is the main route to Red Rock Canyon. I felt strong and eager for a longer run tomorrow! Right ankle is hanging tough and didn't even notice any soreness or aches during the run...always a good sign.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Hi! Glad to hear that your ankle is doing better. :)
39 bpm! Wow. I am right? Is your morning heart rate going down?
Howdy Beachrunner!
My lowest morning heart rate was last year when I dipped to 37 bpm...interestingly, this was not a sigh of a strong heart, but of one that was overtrained!
Hey dude.. I had the opportunity to meet Bart Yasso last night. He is one cool dude. Check this out at www.bartyasso.com He has a blog.
My brother in law just flew into LV this afternoon. I've checked the weather in LV. Wow, its getting cooler there than it is here.
Holy smoke... 39 bpm in the morning.
Bruce is right about heart rate going down due to over training. The reason is that we have two nervous systems, one that increases heart rate when over trained and one that decreases heart rate when over trained. If you're interested in the details, click here.
Post a Comment