Friday, October 17, 2008

Adding Fun to Goals

Daily Quote: "When in the mountains, enjoy the mountain scenery. Nobody achieves his goal without having some fun along the way. Without fun, we'd give up long before the finish line. If there's any way to make the road easier and enjoyable, I'm all for it." --Amby Burfoot, from his insightful book, "The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life."

I'm often so goal oriented (currently in training for the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon) that I don't often add any fun to my runs. It's fine to focused on pace, time, and mileage, but I need to add some enjoyment to my runs or my training will grow stale. Since this weekend is part of my Recovery Week I'm planning on travelling to a part of Las Vegas that I don't often run just for the joy of it!

2:10 a.m. (after work) Warm-up, 10 minutes on the elliptical machine. 35 minutes on Weight Circuit Training. Cool-down, 10 minutes on the upright stationary cycle. Felt great to get a good, hard, weight session without worrying about squeezing it into my busy schedule...sometimes I wish every week is a "Recovery Week!"

Slept 8 hours. Morning heart rate was 40 bpm. Breakfast was Cheerios topped with Raspberries, Blueberries & Blackberries (from frozen "Private Selection Berry Medley")

11:35 a.m. Medium Long Run. 11 miles. Time, 1:43. Overall Pace, 9:22 minute miles. Out and back on Jones Boulevard. Clear, 71-73 degrees with no wind. Average heart rate: 143 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 148 bpm. Body felt great! No aches nor pain and my right ankle, which is always a concern, was perfect!! It's great that the temperatures are getting cooler as normally I wouldn't start running so late.

Just enough time to cook a Chicken & Broccoli Lean Pocket before I leave for work.

8 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Way to make it fun.

LIrunner9 said...

Great plan. Enjoy the new scenery! Your heartrates look great. Your training will pay off come Dec 7th when you run LV and crush your previous record:)!!

Now you've peaked my competitiveness, by suggesting I can run NYC in under 4 hours. One of the main reasons I chose next year is that I LOVE the #9; hence 2009. Now, I'm thinking (and starting to believe), that I could do NYC in a 9:09 pace. How cool would that be??

Thanks for planting the seed:)!!!

Allen said...

If you average 9:09 you'll finish the marathon in 3:59:44, and that would be great!

LIrunner9 said...

Allen,
Thanks for breaking down the math/time for me. That would be SO cool. But, I will also be realistic as this is my first marathon. Looking forward to following your training plan!!

Marci said...

Its a great idea to change your route to add interest. I think it also makes you a stronger runner. I hope you enjoy your run!

Scooter said...

Bruce,
You breakfast description reminded me of a "fun in my training" point. When I'm out running and I pass a bush with berries, I eat a few.

robison52 said...

Scooter, you're lucky...not too many berries in the desert here!

Russ said...

Good luck in your upcoming marathon. I'm pretty much in awe at your level of fitness. I was planning to be able to run in Vegas during AAPEX/SEMA week, but looks like the economy has cancelled my trip. Be glad you are no longer in Michigan!!!