Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Same Tough Tempo Run

Daily Quote: "Not only has the gender line blurred since I went for that first run with Brandy the dog, but the running apparel and equipment industry has exploded into a $6 billion business. In the old days we put on a pair of gym shorts, running shoes with soles as thin as Silly Putty, and a $10 watch. These days, 10 bucks'll barely buy you socks. A good pair of running shoes typically costs around $100. Add to that a shirt and shorts made from fabric that not only wicks away sweat but has built-in UV sun protector and a GPS device that tracks pace, distance, and monitors your heart rate, as well as a fuel belt to carry energy gels and drinks, and you're dropping $600 just to go out your front door." --Bart Yasso, from his entertaining book, "My Life On the Run, The Wit, Wisdom and Insights of a Road Racing Icon."

Most of us didn't shell out much money initially to start running, but eventually purchased those products that makes running easier and more comfortable as we progressed in the sport. Myself, I came to running after a year of walking and racewalking, my weight loss plateaued and I gradually started jogging in 1999; therefore already had the shirt, shorts and socks, but had to spend about $85 on a pair of NIKE Durhams (a motion control shoe that's no longer on the market). Took several years before I purchased a Polar Heart Rate Monitor and eventually a Garmin Forerunner. Funny how expensive and complicated we can make of a sport that still comes down to putting one foot in front of the other.

Hard to leave for the gym's dreadmill as it's a glorious day outside! Nevertheless, the speedwork is best on the treadmill where I can control all the variables on a safe level surface. Frustrating that the school's tracks in Las Vegas are not allowed for the tax-paying public to use, but only for those who are enrolled in such high schools.

9:30 a.m. Tempo Run, 8 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. Warm-up: 2 miles at 6.3 mph (9:31 minute miles). Tempo: 4 miles at 7.9 mph (7:36 minute miles). Cool-down: 2 miles at 6.3 mph. Average heart rate: 163 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 184 bpm. (Note: My maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) Extremely tough workout!! Same exact workout as last Wednesday, with just a tad improvement in heart rate. My right ankle did well with a slight ache, but will still keep a close eye on it and continue to RICE the ankle every afternoon and evening.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

Yeah, I started running with some really old cross trainer shoes, gym shorts, and cotton t shirts that I already had. I have to admit-the right shoes and wicking shirts felt like HEAVEN the first time I tried them! I can run without all the other gear if I have to, but I gotta have my Asics shoes and my running shirt!

Allen said...

I ran for three years in Army boots. I didn't know running shoes existed, and I didn't have any gym shoes (sneakers to you young folks). I rationalized that the heavy boots would help me be stronger. When I moved from Phoenix to Massachusetts, I attended a running club at work and learned about running shoes. Like Tanya said, my first running shoes felt like heaven.