Sunday, October 5, 2008

9 Weeks Until the Marathon

Daily Quote: "The interesting stuff, the humorous stuff, memorable, life-affirming and worth-reading stuff, is the meeting of a stranger, the stamp on a passport, the glimpse of never-before-seen sight, the outlandish adventure." --Bart Yasso, from his entertaining book, "My Life On the Run, The Wit, Wisdom and Insights of a Road Racing Icon."

Yesterday was a typical Saturday, a easy run of seven miles, a rental movie (Run, Fat Boy, Run) and a dinner with the wife. We were both very tired, but stayed up late and watched television as we ate our favorite food, pizza!!

9:00 a.m. Out-and back on Lindell Road. 10 miles. Time, 1:31. Overall pace, 9:10 minute miles. Cooler!! Partly Cloudy, 62-66 degrees with little wind. Average heart rate 141 bpm. Cardiac drift: 150 bpm. (Note, my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) Nice steady pace throughout the run with the last mile at marathon pace of 8:00 minute mile. The cooler temperatures does wonders for my training. Body feel great! I'll be incorporating more marathon pace miles into my training this week.

SUMMARY FOR SEPTEMBER 29 - OCTOBER 5, 2008


I have 9 weeks left until the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon! I ran a total of 86 miles, which is the highest weekly mileage this year!! Next week I hope to intersperse some marathon pace miles (8:00 minute miles) into my training as to gradually acclimate my body to race speed.

I still weigh 172 pounds on a six foot frame! I undoubted didn't lose any weight because I feasted too much during the weekend. I'm going to need to be more disciplined on my days off if I wish to reach my race weight of 165 pounds. Only seven more stubborn pounds to lose!

I somehow managed two weight circuit training sessions this week, finding time to squeeze in weight training is becoming increasingly difficult. I don't feel I'm gaining any benefit from the weight training as my body has been burning many calories from marathon training, which causes the muscles to lack nutrients to grow. I often wonder if I should cease weight training until after the marathon?!?

My sleeping patterns have improved from the previous week as temperatures are getting cooler and I can leave home later. My morning heart rates have remained stable with an average heart rate of 39-42 bpm.

A short recap of last week's training:
Monday: Long Run, 21 miles.
Tuesday: Doubles, AM: Recovery Run, 6 miles. PM: 6 miles.
Wednesday: Tempo Run, 8 miles.
Thursday: Doubles, AM: Recovery Run, 6 miles. PM: 6 miles.
Friday: Medium-Long Run, 16 miles.
Saturday: General Aerobic Run, 7 miles.
Sunday: General Aerobic Run, 10 miles.
Total Weekly Mileage: 86 miles.

4 comments:

Sherri said...

wow, 86 miles!! You should do great in the LVMarathon.
So was the fat boy movie any good?

robison52 said...

I really enjoyed "Run, Fat Boy, Run," as I could relate to his funny misfortunes of training for a marathon! I actually became a little teary eyed with the ending. RENT IT!!!!

BeachRunner said...

Congrats on your longest mileage week ever. Great job.

DuckvilleRunner said...

I rented "Run Fat Boy, Run" and watched it for the first time on Saturday. Just thinking of 86 miles is making me tired. That is almost more then I do in one month. That is great you can do it.