Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Ultra-Marathon Surface

Daily Quote: "One thing I learned over the week-end's marathon on a trail, it's much harder than on paved surface as it takes a lot of concentration for foot placement and you use more muscles, and often little used muscles, for balance. If your ultra runs on trails, I highly suggest some training runs on a similar surface. I also don't think you get the same energy return as you do on pavement." --The Running Bob, his thoughtful comment to my blog yesterday

Bob's excellent suggestion has me wondering! I'm not completely sure what the surface will be for my upcoming ultra-marathon, "The Labor of Love 50k Race," as I have yet to travel to Lovell Mountain to check the route. Today I checked the Calico Racing site for more information, it states:

"The 50K follows the paved Lovell Canyon Road for roughly 11 miles twisting and turning covering rolling and gradually uphill terrain. Just before reaching privately owned Sky Ranch, runners turn left onto the dirt Lovell Summit Road. This section becomes tough as runners climb to the summit at roughly 6805 feet by roughly mile 13. 50K runners continue west of the summit along this same dirt road to their turn around point at mile 15.5. Climbing back up to the summit, runners retrace their steps back along Lovell Summit Road back to the paved Lovell Canyon Road where they return to the finish line. Total paved= 22 miles; Total dirt road= 9 miles. NOTE: IF we have a late snowfall or unusually high precipitation before the race, the dirt road may be too muddy to run, access, and support. IF this is the case, Calico Racing reserves the right to amend the course to ensure everyone's safety. The contingency plan to make up the distance would be to include an out and back section along the paved Lovell Canyon Road. Fingers crossed for Mother Nature to cooperate! 2008 ran the full original course on the dirt road."

So, my current training on paved roads covers most of the surface of the ultra course, but I do need to find some dirt roads to train and at elevation! I also should have plenty of hill training as well...both uphill and downhill.

2:15 a.m. After work. Recovery Run. Out and back on Decatur Boulevard, which has busier traffic and intersections, but is well lighted...I'm a little paranoid about falling again in the dark. Cool, 70 degrees, winds SW at 10 mph. 6 miles. Time, 57:18. Pace, 9:33 minute miles. Average heart rate: 143 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 150 bpm.

Slept 8 hours. Morning heart rate was 43 bpm. Ate a quick breakfast of Cheerios topped with sliced bananas.

11:30 a.m. Recovery Run. 6 miles. Time, 59:00. Out and back on Charleston Boulevard. Warm, 82-83 degrees with winds South at 12 mph. Average heart rate: 141 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 149 bpm. Charleston Boulevard is the main route to Red Rock Canyon. Waved at many cyclists, about 50 riders, who had a convoy heading to the mountains. I really should ride my own bike more often.

Today I'm not even tired and could have gone farther during the second double...maybe next week I'll increase my second run to eight miles.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheerios and bananas are the best! You are doing great, keep it up.

Tanya said...

Holy cow, that sounds like a really challenging course! I hope Mother Nature smiles on your race.