Daily Quote: "Most running, even as practiced by Olympic champions, is not hard, fast, exhaustive running. It's relaxed and contemplative or conversational. Even the champions are advised by coaches and physiologists to run 'easy' 80 percent of the time. The rest of us run easy anywhere from 95 to 99 percent of the time." ----Amby Burfoot, from his insightful book, "The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life."
Yesterday I ran my usual "doubles" (AM: 6 miles, Later AM: 8 miles) at conversatinal pace. I'm well rested and today I plan to increase my Tempo Run a tad, which will be 8 mph, a 7:30 minute per mile pace.
10:00 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. Warmup: 2 miles at 6.2 mph. Tempo run: 3 miles at 8 mph (7:30 minutes per mile pace). Cooldown: 2 miles at 6.2 mph. Average heart rate: 160 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 177 bpm.
A female walker was using my normal treadmill next to the wall, therefore I used the treadmill on the back row. My two mile warmup was uneventful, but when I ramped up the speed to 8 mph the treadmill was making a horrible racket; I'm rather stubborn and once I begin running wasn't going to stop and change treadmills. I was getting quite a few concerned and worried looks from the other gym members, lowered the treadmill's grade to zero to see if I could quiet the beast, but to no avail. I think everyone was happy when I finished the Tempo and the treadmill was quiet again during the cooldown.
I'm not sure if the speed of the rackety treadmill was correct as my cardiac drift was only 177 bpm....last week at a lower speed (7.9 mph) my heart rate was considerably higher. Hopefully I'll be able to run on my regular treadmill next week.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Occasionally, runner's get stuck with the treadmill that just rhythmically thumps/bangs. Don't walkers realize the evil glances the 'regulars' shoot at them is for a reason? Good for you for completing your training run though! Six weeks remaining to the race? Really? Wow, time seems to have flown this past two months!
I've been catching up on blog and am really glad to see you are still doing Vegas! Keep up the great work!
Treadmills can be small manually powered units that are easily stored. They can also be large motorized units that essentially become a permanent feature of your floor plan. Treadmills are used for home fitness, in commercial gyms, for medical tests, and for other unrelated purposes.
I do love how people stare at you when you are on an obviously busted machine. It like they think you are doing something wrong ... if you even HAD the ability to make that kind of racket, why would you choose to do so? Just to mess with the other people working out? I think people need to stop thinking that the world revolves around them ;)
Post a Comment