Sunday, October 12, 2008

8 Weeks Until the Marathon

Daily Quote: "Sometimes it seems like the seasoned and hard-core programs get all the fun, with speedwork, hills, and more runs per week. The newbie program is based entirely on mileage, with the goal of simply building your endurance to the point that 26-plus miles is an easily reachable or at least attainable distance. So we concentrate more on time on your feet and less on speed. Next time around you can plan on more miles and improve either your time -- or how easy your time is." --Bart Yasso, from the marathon schedules in his entertaining book, "My Life On the Run, The Wit, Wisdom and Insights of a Road Racing Icon."

8:00 a.m. General Aerobic Run. Out-and back on Lindell Road. 10 miles. Time, 1:32. Overall pace, 9:12 minute miles. Cold! Partly Cloudy, 49-52 degrees, wind NW at 20 mph!! Average heart rate 143 bpm. Cardiac drift: 151 bpm. (Note, my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm)

I know those from the Northern climes will snicker at the thought that Vegans think 49-52 degrees with 20 mph winds feels like it's freezing, but we're used to much warmer temperatures...wasn't a week ago when temperatures were in the 90's! I didn't attempt any marathon pace miles during today's run as the wind and cold was disconcerting and was just striving to stay on an even keel. I made a mistake of not wearing gloves and was very uncomfortable throughout the run.

Body feels very good considering the high mileage I accomplished this week, no aches nor pain and my ankle hasn't been complaining at all! Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to starting my Recovery Week tomorrow as my body and mind could use a rest.

SUMMARY FOR WEEK OF OCTOBER 6-11, 2008

I have eight weeks left until the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon!! I ran another personal record of highest weekly mileage ever, a total of 89 miles! Next week is my Recovery Week, which couldn't happen at a better time as I'm starting to feel the stresses of high mileage training, PLUS the stress of a upcoming Strike. My marathon training is keeping me sane from my future uncertainties, but I may not be able to run the Las Vegas Marathon this year due to our finances. I'm still hoping that Checker Cab Company will realize that the drivers cannot afford a big pay cut in the proposed new contract.

I've lost another pound!! I'm now 171 pounds on a six foot frame. My goal is to reach my race weight of 165 pounds before the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon on December 7th...only six more pounds to lose!

Sadly, I only managed one weight circuit session this week. Next week is Recovery Week and should have no problems finding time to lift weights.

My sleep patterns last week were rather erratic because of my work stresses, I'm very worried about my future and my sleeping has been suffering for it. It's rare that I sleep soundly for the full 7-8 hours and find myself awaking several times during the night. My morning heart rates have been low, very low, 37-40 bpm, which might be due to overtraining AND compounded by my other life stresses. I had the same very low morning heart rates like last year, which was primarily from overtraining, but this year the upcoming Strike has definitely given me more stress. My upcoming Recovery Week is coming at a great time, I need the rest.

A short recap of last week's running:
Monday: Long Run, 22 miles.
Tuesday: Doubles, Recovery Runs, AM: 6 miles. PM: 7 miles.
Wednesday: Tempo Run, 8 miles.
Thursday: Doubles, Recovery Runs, AM: 6 miles. PM: 7 miles.
Friday: Medium-Long Run, 16 miles.
Saturday: General Aerobic Run, 7 miles.
Sunday: General Aerobic Run, 10 miles.
Total Weekly Mileage: 89 miles!

3 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Congrats on 89 miles (woo hoo!) and losing another pound. I hope the work / strike situation sorts out soon. That must be stressful.

Tanya said...

Same thing here, Bruce with what we consider "cold weather"-50 degrees feel freezing to me! Hang in there, and take care of yourself through this stressfull time.

Lily on the Road said...

Yikes, don't get too thin!