Daily Quote: "Life goes on, day after day, but it also has the ability to reinvent itself, to start over. This is what the seasons show us. We all have marveled at the apple tree's ability to rest through a dark, cold winter, then to grow new leaves in the spring, to blossom again, to bear fruit. We don't often think of our own lives this way, but I think we should." --Amby Burfoot, from his insightful book, "The Runner's Guide to the Meaning of Life."
My Recovery Week is over, it's now time to return to "doubles" where I run twice a day. I've been running "doubles" twice a week, and seriously considering on running "doubles" a third time this week, but will first listen closely to what my body says about the matter.
2:10 a.m. After work. Recovery Run. Out and back on Decatur Boulevard, which has busier traffic and intersections, but is well lighted... Cool, 59 degrees, little wind, 6 miles. Time, 56:04. Pace, 9:20 minute miles. Average heart rate: 143 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 145 bpm. Lower back is still a slightly sore from yesterday's Long Run, but not wearing Camelbak does give me relief. I felt surprisingly fresh during my run considering it was only 13 hours since I ran 22 miles.
Slept 8 hours. Morning heart rate was 41 bpm. Ate a bowl of oatmeal for a change, during the fall months I prefer oatmeal over cold cereals.
11:05 a.m. General Aerobic Run. 8 miles. Time, 1:16. Pace, 9:30 minute miles. Out and back on Charleston Boulevard. Cooler, 62-64 degrees with winds north at 7 mph. Nice easy run, no aches nor pain and lower back feels much better! Average heart rate: 143 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 149 bpm. Charleston Boulevard is the main route to Red Rock Canyon.
I was enjoying my run so much I ran an extra mile longer than the planned seven miler, maybe I should increase all my second runs for the day to eight miles? Yesterday on the way to work with Garfield (my nickname for my Garmin Forerunner) I measured the distance from home to the company's yard, which was exactly 8.1 miles; if I run back and forth from work each day would be 16.2 miles...something to consider when I start training for ultra-marathons.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Great job, once again. Doubles? Wow! Your dedication and commitment is inspiring.
Incredible !! I cannot imagine running in 2 in the morning after your work. That is purely dedication !!!
Thanks BeachRunner and Ted, it's not so much as dedication as it is addiction, I simply LOVE running and often run when I'm under stress...lately I've been under a lot of stress! I may or may not run a third "double" this week as it may cause more harm than good, I'll just listen to what my body has to say.
Post a Comment