Monday, October 20, 2008

Struggling Long Run

Daily Quote: "You should train not simply to get into great shape, but to get into great shape for a specific race on a specific day -- and then give of your best. That's what peak performance is all about." --Richard Nerurkar, from his book "Marathon Running."

My Long Run today was very discouraging, I ran the same route and distance as Monday, October 6th, but was struggling the last two miles. This time last year I was in much better shape and am concerned about my peak performance for the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon.

9:00 a.m. Long Run. 22 miles. Time, 3:26. Overall pace, 9:21 minute miles. Clear, 70-74 degrees, wind SW at 9 mph. Out-and-back on the Las Vegas Marathon course. Ran the last mile at marathon pace of 8:00 minute miles. I was struggling during the last two miles and was wobbling with horrible form as I pushed myself home. Average heart rate: 145 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 156 bpm. My lower back was sore after the run, which I attributed to wearing my backpack-style CamelBak. This week I wanted to run the last two miles at marathon pace and decided against it, next week I will do better.

4 comments:

CewTwo said...

Hi! So how is the Las Vegas Marathon? Is it a good candidate for a first (to finish) marathon?

Charlie

Sherri said...

sorry your run wasn't ideal but I think you will still be fine for the marathon. hang in there and keep up the great training

robison52 said...

Howdy Charlie! The Las Vegas Marathon is a great first (to finish) marathon as it's flat as a pancake making it easier to run. The race is also held on December 7th, which is much cooler and better temperatures for racing...last year at the 6:00 a.m. start the temperature was 39 degrees, but quickly warmed to 62 degrees when the sun eventually came up. The Las Vegas Marathon has music/bands/choirs/singers at every mile marker, which is a great distraction from your suffering.

robison52 said...

Howdy Sherri! Thanks for the words of wisdom!! Yup, I still have seven more weeks of training and should be fine if I keep pushing.