Monday, October 13, 2008

Las Vegas Marathon Has New Partner

Daily Quote: "In doing our research, we got pretty comfortable pretty quickly that we could bring runners to Las Vegas for a long weekend," said Englehart, whose company will launch Rock 'n' Roll events in San Antonio and Seattle within the next year. "And we're going to have a very good race in Las Vegas in 2008. We need to make sure the runners are aware of that." --Las Vegas Review Journal, October 13, 2008.

Today's "Las Vegas Review Journal" has an encouraging news article called, "Partnership ensures financial stability for Las Vegas Marathon," which introduces Devine Racing's new partner, Competitor Group Inc. Now if I can ensure my own financial stability so I'll be able to run the new and improved "2008 Las Vegas Marathon!"

Today is my first day of Recovery Week and my Long Run will only be 16 miles.

7:30 a.m. Long Run. 16 miles. Time, 2:31. Overall Pace, 9:26 minute miles. Out-and-back to UNLV Campus. Clear, 50-58 degrees, winds NNW at 17 mph. Average heart rate: 145 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 151 bpm. (Note: Maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) Just a small blister on my left pinkie toe, otherwise no aches nor pain and all systems are GO!

A slow and easy pace on a crisp and windy fall day as I traverse a new course and different scenery, I needed a change rather than running the same Las Vegas Marathon route...I'm emotionally preparing not running the marathon this year and training on the marathon course has been giving me bitter feelings towards the greedy owner of Checker Cab Company, which has created this dire situation for me. I need to push myself away from negative thoughts and think of my current dilemma as a possible opportunity for a new direction. Not just a new direction in my running route, but a new direction in my employment as well.

I've been having second and third thoughts about the Las Vegas Marathon. My wife would be very happy if I didn't run the marathon anyway and I should place more emphasis on improving my situation rather than burdening her with my upcoming financial stresses. I've been searching for a new job via the classifieds and online, the job pickings are very slim during these financial hard times, nevertheless I must do something. Frustrating!

7 comments:

Kim said...

Do what feels best for you. These times are tough and I've been reading a lot lately of blog friends of the verge of job loss.

If you haven't registered, it'll save you some dough, but if you already have registiered, you still may want to think about it.

I know running always gives me a sense of relief-so don't give that up.

Thinking of you. Best of luck in your job hunting.

Sarah said...

Sorry to hear about your job/financial stress. I really hope that things work out for you. Let us know how your job hunt goes!

Marci said...

It is really rough out there right now, especially looking for a new job. My advice is that if running reduces your stress you keep with it, even if you become a race bandit! I hope everything works out for you and your family.

Tanya said...

Hang in there Bruce. Maybe you could work as a volunteer for the race, so at least you would still be a part of it? I'm thinking of you and hoping your work situation irons itself out.

Sherri said...

glad to hear the race has financial support. hope it works out for you to do it

LIrunner9 said...

Oh Bruce, I am hoping you get to run this race. I know how much it means to you. I like Tanya's idea, any way you could volunteer for it and still run it?

I realize times are tough right now, and I hope it turns around for you, but also remember you work hard, and the race could be a reward for you?

Here's hoping the financial end of things work itself out and that you can still run this race:)

Allen said...

That is good news about Devine. The Salt Lake City marathon is another Devine race, and I hope the good news for LV will carry over into SLC.

Hang in there, Bruce! What ever happens, make it a positive learning experience for you.