Friday, September 19, 2008

New Running Book!

Daily Quote: "Bart Yasso has completed in road races on all seven continents. In doing so, he's been attacked by angry birds in Antarctica; in Colorado, he was paired with a burro named Taco Bell, the fastest, meanest racer on four legs; he's competed in an ultra-marathon in Death Valley in July, where daytime temperatures can soar to 128 degrees; he's been chased by a rhino in Nepal; and he's run in the buff, having participated in the Bare Buns Fun Run in Washington State. And these are just a few of the highlights of Yasso's Life on the Run." --back book jacket from "My Life On the Run; the Wit, Wisdom, and Insights of a Road Racing Icon."

Bought Bart Yasso's book yesterday and looking forward to reading it during my upcoming slow work nights. I'm a poor cab driver and can never travel as extensively as Yasso has, but I can live vicariously through him by reading his adventures. I'll write a short book report once I've finished reading it!

9:50 a.m. General Aerobic Run. 10 miles. Time, 1:32. Overall pace, 9:12 minute miles. Out and back on Alta Road, which is the official bike route to Red Rock Canyon and has marked bike lanes on the asphalt. Cooler, 72-74 degrees, winds SW at 6 mph. Average heart rate: 143 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 155 bpm. Nice comfortable run on a course I rarely traverse, no aches nor pain, and looking forward to a relaxing weekend.

Many bicycles on Alta Road this morning and reminded me how long I've neglected in riding my own bike...I really should find the time to ride my bike, the big question is when? I have a full plate as I'm in marathon training for the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon and will find it difficult finding time to sleep!! By the way, my bike is two years old and is a TREK 1000.

1 comment:

Andrew/Dad..+ said...

Great wrokout. I had a mtn. bike once, but finally sold it because running always came first. When a dear friend i used to work with was looking to buy one (I gave him a great deal on it). I also threw in the helmet & cheap-bike-rack for free. A "Marin"....
God Bless
Jimmy....