Monday, September 22, 2008

Long Run on Roads

Daily Quote: "The first few miles of your long runs can be done slowly, but by 5 miles into your long run, your pace should be no more than 20 percent slower than marathon race pace. Gradually increase your pace until you're running approximately 10 percent slower than marathon race pace during the last 5 miles of your long runs." Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas, "Advanced Marathoning," pg 24.

Today is my first Long Run on the roads since the 2008 Boston Marathon! I started my transition from the treadmill to the roads on September 1st by first incorporating Recovery Runs, then General Aerobic Runs, and now my longer runs...my transition to the roads is now complete. I'll still do my weekly speedwork on the treadmill, but until next summer all my other runs will be on the roads.

9:00 a.m. Long Run. 20 miles. Time, 3:15. Overall pace: 9:51 minute miles. Out and back to Bonanza Road, which consisted of 16.2 miles on the "2008 Las Vegas Marathon" course. Partly cloudy, 77-86 degrees, with no winds. Average heart rate 147 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 155 bpm. Body was put to the test and the last five miles was a struggle home as right ankle was complaining loudly.

Today's long run was not near the speed I should be running. My upcoming marathon goal pace is 8:00 minute miles, hence my early part of my 20 miler should be at 20% slower than goal pace, which is 9:36 minute miles AND the later part of my training run should be 10% slower than goal pace, which is 8:48 minute miles. Granted, I was overly cautious due to this being my first long run on the roads and my right ankle was troublesome, nevertheless, I must improve my pace during my upcoming long runs or suffer the consequences during the race.

I should remember also that the temperatures during my last Las Vegas Marathon was 37 degrees at the start and when I reached the finishing line the temperature rose to 61 degrees! Much cooler than today's training run!! I'm sure today's heat played havoc on my overall pace and shouldn't be too hard on myself. I'll do better next week, for now I need to pamper my right ankle with RICE treatment. If my ankle is still sore tomorrow I'll take a complete rest day, which would stop my current running streak.

No comments: