Daily Quote: "Weight training is extremely beneficial for runners, regardless of the distance you are training for. Among many other things, it reduces the risk of injury by strengthening muscles and connective tissue; it also improves control, balance and muscle coordination -- and consequently improves running economy." --David Smith, strength and conditioning coach at Pure Sports Medicine (www.presportsmed.com)
I strive to do weight circuit training three times a week, but lately have only managed to complete two sessions per week due to my additional marathon training mileage. Somehow I need to find more time to strength train, yet recover from my running, and getting enough sleep. What would be ideal is having my own personal gym at home, but at this time that's beyond my means...maybe someday?!?
2:10 a.m. After work. Recovery Run. Out and back to Lindell Road, which partially traverses the "Las Vegas Marathon" route. Cooler, 70 degrees with no winds. 6 miles. Time, 57:18. Pace, 9:33 minute miles. Average heart rate: 142 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 148 bpm. I really enjoy running after work during the cooler morning hours! It's so very peaceful and helps me rewind after a stressful 12 hours in my cab. My right ankle appears to be fine now, didn't even whimper, hopefully everything is back to normal.
Slept 7 hours. Awoke several times during the night due to Al's (next door neighbor) dog barking. Went outside and realize he's just barking at "Chessie" the homeless cat I've been feeding. (I named her "Chessie" as she has black and white splotches that strikes me as a chessboard.) Morning heart rate was 41 bpm. Had my Cheerios and watched CNN and became depressed with the current financial crisis, we do need a change!!
11:00 a.m. Recovery Run. 6 miles. Time, 59:00. Out and back on Charleston Boulevard. Hot! 85 degrees with 5 mph winds. Average heart rate: 146 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 152 bpm. Charleston Boulevard is the main route to Red Rock Canyon. Can hardly wait when temperatures start getting cooler! No aches nor pain, but felt very tired and after my run took an hour nap.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm glad your ankle is better. Yeah, the news pretty much sucks lately, I've stopped watching the news.
Good news on the ankle front! Hopefully, the financial market will recovery as your ankle has.
Post a Comment