Daily Quote: "If I could recommend only one dietary change to improve your health, it would be to reduce your consumption of refined sugars. Although fat -- and especially saturated fat -- has typically received the most blame for causing America's weight problem, increasing evidence suggests that sugar might be the true culprit. For example, the rate of obesity is more than three times greater in our country than in France. Yet the French actually eat more fat than we do (42 percent of calories versus 37 percent) -- and more saturated fat as well. --Dean Karnazes, from his excellent book, "50/50 Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days and How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!"
I really need to focus on eating less refined sugars, I'm good about reducing saturated fats from my diet, but I simply love sugars. My favorite candy is Jelly Bellys, which I became addicted to during the Reagan years (Ronald was also a Jelly Belly junkie). Funny thing, many years later I'm now eating Jelly Belly Sport Beans for my carb needs during races...go figure!
2:20 a.m. (after work) Warm-up, 10 minutes on the elliptical machine. 35 minutes on Weight Circuit Training. Cool-down, 10 minutes on the upright stationary cycle. Finally able to squeeze in a weight training workout, my shoulders are a tad sore, I'm not surprised as I've been inconsistent with lifting weights.
Slept eight hours. Morning heart rate is 39 bpm. Shoulders are still a little sore, next weight workout I'll take it easier on the Shoulder Press Machine.
I haven't ran a Tempo Run since September 10th as last week was a Recovery Week. I wasn't sure whether to increase my tempo speed, or increasing the distance of the tempo... finally decided it would be wiser to just repeat my last tempo workout and see how my body reacts than next week I can increase one of the variables.
12:10 p.m. Tempo Run, 8 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. Warm-up: 2 miles at 6.3 mph (9:31 minute miles). Tempo: 4 miles at 7.8 mph (7:42 minute miles). Cool-down: 2 miles at 6.3 mph. Average heart rate: 161 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 180 bpm. (Note: My maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) Tough workout, although my heart rate numbers are lower than September 10th! I am improving!! After my run I had a feeling of deep satisfaction of a workout well done.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Well done indeed. The HR numbers tell the story.
Great run, Bruce. I like sport beans, too. I don't notice that they really help much with my runs, but I use them as rewards during my long runs!
I can really feel the difference in my body when I get into the refined sugar! I'm also reading a book, Omnivore's Dilemma, that talks about the impact of the introduction of cheap processed sugar from corn, (high fructose corn syrup.) It has definitely made me rethink a few food choices!
You ARE improving!! Good for you...
sugar, it has crept its way into almost everything...read the labels...that's what I do...good luck, you'll feel better....
Here I am reading you blog eating candy corn. Sweets are a HUGE weakness for me, wait that is any food. Great Job Bruce, and thanks for all the help you have given me.
Post a Comment