Daily Quote: "While running a race in Portugal, I noticed that spectators along the course kept shouting the same phrase over and over: 'Quem corre por gosto, nao cansa.' Afterward I asked someone to tell me what it meant. 'Who runs for pleasure never gets tired,' I was told. How true!" --Dean Karnazes, from his excellent book, "50/50 Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days and How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!"
The above quote are words to run by!!
2:15 a.m. After work. Recovery Run. Out and back to Lindell Road, which partially traverses the "Las Vegas Marathon" route. Cooler, 72 degrees, winds south at 8 mph. 6 miles. Time, 57:18. Pace, 9:33 minute miles. Average heart rate: 141 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 148 bpm. During a dark patch on the road I fell from a rock the size of a melon, instinctively pushed my hands out to brake the fall; not one of my greatest ideas as my left wrist is very sore and my right palm has been scraped, but thankfully nothing serious. I may need to purchase a head lamp for my early morning runs.
Slept 8 hours. Morning heart rate was 39 bpm. Ate a quick breakfast of Cheerios topped with frozen berries...YUM!
11:40 a.m. Recovery Run. 6 miles. Time, 59:00. Out and back on Charleston Boulevard. Hot! 89-92 degrees with no winds. Average heart rate: 144 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 152 bpm. Charleston Boulevard is the main route to Red Rock Canyon. I need to awake earlier as to avoid the heat!
Rather than taking a nap after my run, I played speed chess on the Internet for an hour. Chess was once a great passion of mine, now it has been replaced by running. I still enjoy playing chess, but my hunger for higher ratings and the need for getting lost in deep, beautiful complications are gone.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Ouch! Sorry to hear you fell, but I'm glad it wasn't too serious. Yeah, I have to hit the road a bit earlier. We're having one of our September heat waves right now!
love that quote! funny how one passion is replaced by another. I've noticed that in my life as well. I'm ready for fall.
Glad to hear you are ok. I did the same thing about a year ago, but I did it on curb, hole, or it might have been just the air I can't remember. Just glad no one saw me, oh but they did on the treadmill.
Welcome to the club of runners who fall! Maybe we should call ourselves The Fallen Runners.
Post a Comment