Monday, September 15, 2008

Attacking My Weakness

Daily Quote: "One of the best ways to adapt your training for improved performance is to identify and attack a weak link in your fitness. Most runners have a clear sense of their greatest fitness weakness. Usually it's one of three things: lack of speed, lack of endurance, or lack of race fitness (or the ability to sustain faster speeds for prolonged periods of time). For me, unfortunately, it's sometimes all three. What are your fitness weaknesses?" ----Dean Karnazes, from his excellent book, "50/50 Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days and How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!"

I believe my current weakness is a lack of speed, I haven't ran a 5k or 10k race in months! I'm seriously considering a 5k race next month, maybe the "Danny Gans Champions for Life 5k" on October 11th? Next week I'll start doing some intervals at my planned 5k race speed.

Today is the first day of my Recovery Week, normally Mondays are my Long Runs, but today it'll be a Medium-Long Run and will be my longest run for the week.

9:00 a.m. Medium-Long Run. 15 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 5 miles @ 6.6 mph, 6 miles @ 6.7 mph. Last 4 miles @ marathon pace, 7.5 mph. Average heart rate: 151 bpm. Cardiac drift: 159 bpm. I was torn whether to add marathon pace miles today due to being Recovery Week, but I was feeling really strong and decided to go with the flow. I didn't have any aches nor pain and wasn't even tired! I didn't need a nap before work and spent time catching up on all my friends' blogs.

3 comments:

Lily on the Road said...

Well that is good news, no aches nor pains & being able to catch up...

I suppose I'm a sloth, I just want to get out, run, take pictures and enjoy the accomplishment...not time frame for me other than "not last"

The Running Bob said...

Weaknesses...where to start? (1) job gets in the way; (2) lack of speed drills (trying to change); (3) race day cramps and running through them

Tanya said...

I like this subject very much. I'm pretty sure my two biggest weaknesses are lack of speed and lack of endurance. I can attack them both with a weekly speed session, I'm thinking of switching between intervals and tempo runs, and long runs to work on endurance.