Friday, September 12, 2008

Faster Medium-Long Run

Daily Quote: "Throw the notion of three large meals a day out the window -- it doesn't work for runners. You need more calories during the day than sedentary people, so it's better to spread them out with a small meal every three to four hours. You'll find that eating mini meals will help maintain your energy levels throughout the day." --Christine Luff, about.com running/jogging guide.

The above quote is so very true! I've been eating small meals every 3-4 hours ever since I read Bill Phillip's book, "Body For Life," several years ago and find that my energy levels are high throughout the day, even after a Long Run during the morning hours. Food is our fuel and during my marathon training I rarely feel I'm running close to empty. During my marathon training I would like to lose 1-2 pounds per week and reach my racing weight of 165 pounds, but it's not something I dwell, I know I'll gradually lose weight because of my higher mileage.

Today is the same Medium-Long mileage as last week, 16 miles, but at a little faster pace.

10:00 a.m. Medium-Long Run, 16 miles. Time, 2:14. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 13 miles at 6.5 mph (Pace, 9:14 minute miles), last three miles at marathon pace, 7.5 mph (Pace, 8:00 minute miles). Average heart rate: 151 bpm. Cardiac drift: 164 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart is 190 bpm). Strong and tiring effort. No aches nor pain like last week's Medium-Long Run and I'm bubbling over with confidence for the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon!! Next week I'm planning on a much needed Recovery Week.

No comments: