Daily Quote: "Consume easily digested foods such as instant oatmeal, bananas, and energy bars in your pre-race meal. If you eat your pre-race meal within an hour of the race, it should contain no more than five hundred calories. --Dean Karnazes, from his excellent book, "50/50 Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days and How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!"
My morning heart rate has returned to the acceptable level of 42 bpm, which means I'll be able to run today with confidence.
Today is my first General Aerobic Run done on the roads this fall! I didn't realize when I started my run today that it would get so hot, so fast. I started at 88 degrees and the run ended at 95 degrees, which affected my pace tremendously, if I had known the temperature was going to be this high I would have ran on the treadmill. Eventually, the temperatures reached 105 degrees today in Vegas. I can hardly wait for cooler temperatures!!
9:00 a.m. General Aerobic Run. 9 miles. Time, 1:28. Overall Pace, 9:50 minute per mile pace. Out and Back on Torrey Pines Road which partially traverses the upcoming 2008 Las Vegas Marathon. Average heart rate 149 bpm. Cardiac Drift 161 bpm. I brought two bottles of Gatorade, which was plenty for a nine miler, and easily emptied the bottles before I reached home. I was very hot when I arrived home, took a nice shower, and then immediately took an hour nap.
SUMMARY FOR SEPTEMBER 1-7, 2008
Only 13 weeks until the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon! I accomplished 75 miles last week, which is my highest weekly mileage this year!! I had scheduled more mileage, but by the weekend I was exhausted and didn't accomplish my second "double" run. Hopefully next week I'll increase my mileage again.
I did lose two pounds last week and I'm now 174 pounds on a six foot frame. I'm still striving to reach my race goal weight of 165 pounds before the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon. Only nine more pounds to go!
I was able to do three sessions of weight circuit training last week, but still having problems squeezing everything I want to accomplish...once my mileage reaches 80+ weekly mileage I may need to decrease my weight sessions to twice a week.
My sleeping patterns have remained stable, 7-8 hours of sleep nightly, but my morning heart rates were high from Thursday-Saturday, probably due to my hard training and stresses at work. I will keep a close monitor on my condition so I don't overtrain like I did last year.
A short recap of last week's mileage:
Monday: Long Run, 20 miles on the treadmill.
Tuesday: Doubles: AM, 5 miles Recovery Run. PM, 6 miles Recovery Run. Both on the treadmill.
Wednesday: Tempo Run, 7 miles on the treadmill.
Thursday: Recovery Run, 6 miles on the roads.
Friday: Medium-Long Run, 16 miles on the treadmill.
Saturday: Recovery Run, 6 miles on the treadmill.
Sunday: General Aerobic Run, 9 miles on the roads.
Total Weekly Mileage: 75 miles.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
It's the home stretch. You are training very smartly. Keep it up, stick to the plan and you will do GREAT.
P.S. Stick to the plan is a goal, but be sure to listen to your body.
Wow that's insane! Cangrats on the 75 mile week. Very nice!
I wish I was doing Vegas this year. I had so much fun last year! Do you know if they changed the course at all?
Howdy Lifestudent! As far as I know currently, the Las Vegas Marathon course is the same as last year. Although I wish I knew what the weather would be!
Post a Comment