Sunday, September 14, 2008
12 Weeks Until the Marathon
Daily Quote: "Get some sleep and enjoy your rest week. Rest weeks can be SLOW good." --Beachrunner411's comment to Allen's Old Man Running blog.
I'll be starting my Recovery Week next week and found Beachrunner's "Rest weeks can be SLOW good" comment as clever, indeed rest weeks are slow and so good.
This weekend were very short and easy, which is normal in my marathon training as I don't wish my wife to feel deprived on our days off...I hope to keep all my hard runs during the weekdays.
Yesterday was a Recovery run of 6 miles, today was a General Aerobic Run of 9 miles.
9:30 a.m. General Aerobic Run. 9 miles. Time, 1:28. Overall Pace, 9:50 minute per mile pace. Out and Back on Torrey Pines Road which partially traverses the upcoming 2008 Las Vegas Marathon. Clear, 79 degrees with winds NE at 5 mph. Average heart rate 149 bpm. Cardiac Drift 161 bpm. Brought one bottle of Lemon-Lime Gatorade; I'm getting very tired of the same flavor, maybe next week I'll purchase Fruit Punch Gatorade for a change. I'm starting to make friends with the chained dog at the corner of Torrey Pines Road and Alta Road, he recognizes me and no longer barks as I give him cooing sounds...maybe I'll give him a dog biscuit during one of my future runs.
SUMMARY FOR SEPTEMBER 8-14, 2008
I have 12 weeks until the 2008 Las Vegas Marathon! I accomplished 82 miles last week, which is the highest weekly mileage this year!! My last three weeks have been very strenuous and I'm looking forward to starting my Recovery Week tomorrow.
I lost two pounds last week, I'm now 172 pounds on a six foot frame. I'm still striving to reach my racing weight of 165 pounds. Only seven more pounds to lose!!
I was only able to accomplish two sessions of weight circuit training last week, but during Recovery Week I should be able to fufill three sessions of weight circuit training. I don't know how I'll be able to continue my weightlifting when my mileage continues to climb, I don't have enough hours in the day to do everything I want.
Thankfully, my sleeping patterns have remained stable, 7-8 hours nightly, and my morning heart rates average between 40-45 bpm.
A short recap of last week's mileage:
Monday: Long Run on the treadmill, 20 miles.
Tuesday: Doubles on the roads, AM: 5 miles; PM: 6 miles.
Wednesday: Tempo run on the treadmill, 8 miles.
Thursday: Doubles on the road, AM: 6 miles; PM: 6 miles.
Friday: Medium-Long Run on the treadmill, 16 miles.
Saturday: Recovery Run on the roads, 6 miles.
Sunday: General Aerobic Run on the roads, 9 miles.
Total Weekly Mileage: 82 miles!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
82 miles! Very nice! You'll rock! Once again, I'm backing into this next marathon. Keep up the good work - nice going on the two a days! Read some interesting articles and the success of those who practice it.
Bruce,
I rarely post on your blog, but with the "net" on my cell phone I read your blog every day. I also read Allen's blog, and some of the other blogs I have a link to. This in itself really inspires me to go out and run. (HEY) I measured my course for Saturdays run, and it was 10.5m's for 1:35.38 which came out to (9.06) mile pace. Previously it was 8:42, and even though I've been lazy for so long, I didn't think I was moving that fast. You are doing fine with your marathon training, keep up the good work, and have a great week, Your runner friend, Jimmy. PS: I never liked to put down milage I didn't run even if it's just under a mile or so. What Are your Thoughts???? God Bless....
Howdy Jimmy! You said, "I never liked to put down milage I didn't run even if it's just under a mile or so. What Are your Thoughts?"
Well, I don't normally record my runs that weren't "planned" or below a certain time like 10 minutes, but it's very rare that I would run for so shortly due to having to take showers and grooming for work. Nevertheless, recording ALL your activities isn't a bad idea as you can see why you didn't perform so well on a "Hard" day.
Post a Comment