Friday, September 5, 2008

More on "Gaiters"

Daily Quote: "Try wearing gaiters (fabric coverings for the ankles and lower legs) to keep pebbles and twigs out of your shoes. You can find gaiters at most outdoor retail stores. You can also purchase trail-running shoes with integrated gaiters." --Dean Karnazes, from his excellent book, "50/50 Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days and How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!"

The above quote is more informative about gaiters than the previous "Runner's World" quote I posted on August 15th called, "Lightweight Gaiters." I like the idea of trail-running shoes with integrated gaiters, I have plenty of time before "Labor of Love 50k" to do more research and find the best deal.

Today is my scheduled Medium-Long Run and I'll strive to keep the distance and speed the same as last time; this is a precaution as my body adapts to running on the roads and doing doubles as well. Baby steps, baby steps.

10:30 a.m. Medium-Long Run, 16 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 6 miles at 6.4 mph (Pace, 9:22 minute miles), 6 miles at 6.5 mph (Pace, 9:14 minute miles), last three miles at marathon pace, 7.5 mph (Pace, 8:00 minute miles). Average heart rate: 150 bpm. Cardiac drift: 162 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart is 190 bpm). My right ankle had a slight ache after my run and did treat the whole foot with RICE therapy...thankfully I have two easy Recovery Runs on the roads planned for the weekend.

I received this month's "Running Times Magazine" in the mail and look forward to devouring the articles tonight at work.

2 comments:

Tanya said...

trail running shoes with integrated gaiters-never seen those, intriguing....
I figured out my low heart rate issue, it's not me, it's my strap, I've never replaced the battery! I'm guessing when I put in a fresh battery, I'll be back up to my usual readings!

BeachRunner said...

Great job with your 16 miler. Your training discipline and dedication is inspiring to me. As always, thanks for the kind words, advice and feedback commentary back on my blog.