Monday, September 29, 2008

Longer Run

Daily Quote: "My experience as a runner and coach indicates that long runs greater than 22 miles take much more out of the body than do runs in the range of 20 to 22 miles. I occasionally included runs of 27 to 30 miles in my marathon preparations and believe that I ran slower in my marathons because of those efforts." --Pete Pfitzinger, from the book "Advanced Marathoning," pg 23.

In my past marathon training my longest run was always 20 miles as I'm pretty slow and the time would exceed over three hours. This fall is different, as I'm not only training for the marathon, but also preparing my body for the vigor's of my first ultra-marathon in April, hence today will be a 21-miler. I'm not sure what will be my longest training run will be this fall, maybe 25 miles, it all depends on how my body reacts and adapts to the training.

8:30 a.m. Long Run. 21 miles. Time, 3:13. Overall pace: 9:11 minute miles. Out and back to Bonanza Road, which consisted of 17.2 miles on the "2008 Las Vegas Marathon" course. Sunny, 79-87 degrees, with little wind. Average heart rate 149 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 157 bpm. My pace should become faster once the fall season gets cooler. Just a small blister on my left pinkie toe, otherwise my body feels pretty good considering the heat and the distance. I'm fairly pleased with my effort today.

Checker Cab Company will be having a meeting this Wednesday as to present the last and final offer of the contract. I'm pretty nervous as the Union has recommended we go on strike as the contract is a 7% decrease in our overall wage. What a time to go on strike with the economy heading into the dumpster, I guess their is no "good" time to go on strike.

2 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Good luck with your long run and labor negotiations. Scary economic times indeed. A strike is hard to imagine. I hope the union contract situation works out soon.

The Running Bob said...

One thing I learned over the week-end's marathon on a trail, it's much harder than on paved surface as it takes a lot of concentration for foot placement and you use more muscles, and often little used muscles, for balance. If your ultra runs on trails, I highly suggest some training runs on a similar surface. I also don't think you get the same energy return as you do on pavement.