Saturday, September 6, 2008

Failed "Doubles"

Daily Quote: Eat your pre-race meal at least an hour beforehand. Avoid mile and lactose, as well as highly fibrous foods, for at least twenty-four hours prior. --Dean Karnazes, from his excellent book, "50/50 Secrets I Learned Running 50 Marathons in 50 Days and How You Too Can Achieve Super Endurance!"

Today I had planned to run "doubles" once immediately after work and later after sleeping. Tough motivating myself to enter the gym as I had finished a Medium Long Run of 16 miles about 14 hours earlier and was very tired.

2:15 a.m. After work. Recovery Run. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. All six miles at 6.3 mph. (Pace, 9:31 minute miles). Average heart rate: 144 bpm. Cardiac Drift 149 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) Not surprisingly my heart rates were a little high for a Recovery Run considering the long day I had; a previous 16 miler and working for 12 hours. After my run I dragged myself to the weights and did my circuit training that lasted approximately 35 minutes. I was bone tired when I came home and literally crashed in my bed!

I awoke ten hours later at 1:00 p.m.!!! My morning (or in this case, afternoon) heart rate was 51 bpm, which is much higher than my usual 39-42 bpm morning heart rates. I took this as a clue that I shouldn't be doing my second run for the day and opted to rest instead. It's very tough for me to cancel a run as I tend to be too structured and goal oriented for my own good, but I know if I don't listen to my body I won't improve, or worse, I'll get injured.

I have planned a General Aerobic Run tomorrow, but will try and be flexible if my morning heart rate demands it; I might just do a very easy Recovery Run instead. I know, I know, tomorrow I could also take a total rest day too, which would break my current running streak...

3 comments:

BeachRunner said...

I am exhausted from just reading your post. Unbelievable perserverance. Good luck with the recovery.

Sherri said...

Sounded like your body needed the rest! I know you are smart enough to listen to it.
Timothy wanted a substantial Eagle project and it sits in the same field with his brother's rifle range. Both should be there for many years to come! Lots of $$ and time invested but worth it. He's so happy to have it done. We loved getting that little bit of snow but I would NOT want to live somewhere that gets it all the time, I'm sure! I have so many scrap pages of races but SO many more to do, including our marathons. Thanks for looking.

Lily on the Road said...

Glad you listened to your body with respect to being tired...

Go for the total rest, sometimes you just have to do it...thanks for stopping by my blog, don't be a stranger!!