Thursday, August 2, 2007

10k Race Pace Goal

Daily Quote: "There are clubs you can't belong to, neighborhoods you can't live in, schools you can't get into, but the roads are always open." --Nike

My last 10k race was "Come Run in the Sun 10k" on May 29, 2004!! I ran that race in a personal best of 55:47, which is a 8:58 minute per mile pace. Needless to say, that 10k personal best is very soft, in fact my last marathon was at 8:37 minute per mile pace!

I utilized "Running Times Race Time Equivalent Calculator," using the comparison of my last race, The 2007 Salt Lake City Half-Marathon (1:49:27), which was a 8:21 minute per mile pace to ascertain what my pace for my upcoming 10k race should be approximately. Voila! My estimated 10k time would be 49:33, which is a 7:59 minute per mile pace. Now I have a rough idea of what my pace should be for next Wednesday's speed work.

Early a.m. (before bedtime) Warm up, 10 minutes on stationary bike. Full body weight circuit training. Cool down, 10 minutes on the elliptical. My sore lower ab muscles have improved with no aches nor pain, I will probably return to doing crunches soon.

Later A.M. (after sleeping 7 1/2 hours) Today is a Recovery Run.6 miles. Time, 58 minutes. Pace, 9.40 minute miles. Life Fitness Treadmill on the cardio training mode setting where the elevation automatically changes to keep my heart rate at a constant 144 bpm (75% of maximum heart rate). Treadmill speed set at 6.2 mph. Elevation changes: 2.2 - 1.9 grades. I worn a hole through my right sock's big toe, will need to purchase more running socks tomorrow. Most of my running socks are over two years old!

3 comments:

Allen said...

Wow! breaking 8 minutes. You're really chugging along, Bruce!

robison52 said...

Howdy Allen! Well, it looks good in theory, now all I need to do is put sub 8 minutes per mile pace in a 10k race into practice!

vmJoe said...

Go Bruce! That sounds like a good time for you.