Saturday, August 25, 2007

SUMMARY, WEEK 34

Daily Quote: "It's a cool course. It's very challenging. It has a lot of character, with this one very unnecessary hill." --Uta Pippig, regarding the Boston Marathon course.

Today is a General Aerobic Run.
10 miles. Time, 1:30. Overall Pace, 9:00 minute per mile. Life Fitness Treadmill set at 1% Grade. First 6 miles @ 6.6 mph, Last 4 miles @ 6.7 mph. Average heart rate: 152 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 160 bpm. I'll be attempting negative splits on my upcoming marathon training runs, I thought I would try it now as a change in pace (pun intended).

SUMMARY FOR WEEK OF AUGUST 19-25, 2007

Finished third week of 4 week training block (I will increase my mileage each week during the first three weeks and use the fourth week for recovery). I've ran a new weekly high milestone of 86 miles, which is the highest weekly mileage I've ever trained!! My previous weekly high was 84 miles that was set during last November during marathon training. I'm looking forward to next week's Recovery Week as I'm exhausted from last week's high mileage and already getting fall allergies.

I've returned to doing full body weight circuit training three days a week. I've invested in a pair of workout gloves as my puny wrists could use the extra support. My left wrist was very sore, but was probably just DOMS and nothing serious as the wrist is o.k. now.

Surprisingly, I'm still 170 pounds on a six foot frame...you would think with such high weekly mileage I would be losing weight...but, I've been eating very well and my weight training has added heavier muscles to my frame. Next week is a Recovery Week and should cut down my portion sizes or I will gain weight. I have plenty of time to reach my racing weight of 162 pounds for the "New Las Vegas Marathon on December 2nd, 2007.

My morning heart rates have been very low, 39-42 bpm, which hopefully shows I'm not overtraining. I've slept well every night, at least 7 hours and often 8 hours of solid sleep. I had taken short naps after my harder runs like the Long Run and Tempo Run. Next week my body will get more rest due to my Recovery Week training.

Only 14 weeks until the "New Las Vegas Marathon!" After next week's Recovery Week, my base building phase will have ended and then will start my marathon training in earnest.

A short recap of last week's mileage:
Sunday: Recovery Run, 7 miles.
Monday: Medium Long Run, 15 miles.
Tuesday: Doubles, Early AM: 5 miles. Later AM: 7 miles.
Wednesday: Tempo Run, 10 miles.
Thursday: Doubles, Early AM: 5 miles. Later AM: 7 miles.
Friday: Long Run, 20 miles.
Saturday: General Aerobic Run, 10 miles.
Total Mileage: 86 miles.

No comments: