Thursday, January 29, 2009

Strong Cravings

Daily Quote: "If you have a really strong craving, it's fine to indulge –- a little. If you deprive yourself too much, it may lead you to overeating. Try to prevent yourself from going overboard by placing only a certain amount of food in front of you. Put potato chips in a small bowl rather than eating them right out of the bag, for example. This is especially important after a tough run or workout, when you may feel that a big-calorie binge is justified. In reality, you could end up eating way more calories than you burned during your run." --Christine Luff, running guide at about.com

I always have strong cravings for junk food after runs, I strive to not to over-indulge, and sometimes rationalize that I deserve the treat...need to have more self control and eat just a small amount...easier said than done.

Today I returned to an easy 4 mile run.

9:30 a.m. Easy Run. 4 miles. Time, 38:29 Out and back on Lindell Road. Weather, Fair, 51 degrees, winds south at 5 mph. Overall pace: 9:37 minute miles. Average heart rate: 143 bpm. Cardiac drift: 149 bpm. (Note, my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm)

Nice easy and comfortable run with no aches nor pain, felt invigorated and happy afterwards. What would I do if I didn't have running? I'm so thankful my knee injury wasn't permanent. Today I didn't need nor wear my knee strap!

4 comments:

Kim said...

That's been me lately! Yikes! But I'm certainly aware of what I've been doing. I guess that's good at least!

BeachRunner said...

Yay for a nice run, nice temps, and that you are feeling good.

lifestudent said...

I feel cravings for junk food all the time :( Running has nothing to do with it...

Dustie said...

Bruce - I am so happy to hear that you are recovering well! I really felt for you when you had to back down and deal with the injury. You handled the transition for well and give me one more reason to look up to you!