Saturday, January 31, 2009

Seven Miler!

Daily Quote: "There's only one thing that we have to do in life, and that is to die. I have often met people who use this fact to justify their ambivalence toward health information. But I take a different view. I have never pursued health hoping for immortality. Good health is about being able to fully enjoy the time we do have. It is about being as functional as possible throughout our entire lives and avoiding crippling, painful and lengthy battles with disease. There are many better ways to die, and to live." --from the book, "The China Study," by T. Colin Campbell, PhD and Thomas M. Campbell II.

What would my condition be now if I didn't start exercising in 1999? Would I have been heavier than my previous 249 pounds? Would I be as happy? I do believe I'm a far better person now than in 1999.

Today I plan on accomplishing my longest run since my knee injury, a seven miler!

10:30 a.m. General Aerobic Run. 7 miles. Time, 1:07. Overall pace, 9:41 minute miles. Out and back on Torrey Pines Road that partially traverses last year's Las Vegas Marathon route. Weather, clear, 50 degrees, with no wind. Average heart rate, 140 bpm. Cardiac drift, 146 bpm. I didn't wear my knee strap again, and may never need to wear it in the future!

Slow and comfortable run as I didn't want to push myself too hard at this longer distance. Felt I could have ran much farther and my right knee was fine. Next Saturday I'll increase my mileage to eight miles.

5 comments:

Tanya said...

Congratulations on the 7 miles-and no knee strap! Where indeed would we all be if we didn't run? I know that when I was at my heaviest weight, I had trouble performing even the simple task of tying my shoes-it was just hard to reach my feet comfortably. I know I don't ever want to go back to that condition!

Kim said...

Awesome! Glad to hear the good news.

Allen said...

My blood clots have caused my feet and legs to swell, and I've gained 28 pounds. I now have more empathy with those who want to lose weight. Fortunately, my extra weight (water) is starting to decrease.

runningDeb said...

Good going Bruce. Tough to come back from injury. I know this for a fact!! Keep up the good work.

WendyBird said...

Great job! So good to here the knee is staying healthy!