Monday, January 12, 2009

Slow and Steady

Daily Quote: "Come back from injuries slowly. I always tried to do too much, too quickly." --Ann Trason. Many view Trason as no less than the Joan Benoit of the ultra-distance world, redefining what female runners could do and inspiring a generation.

Its been seven weeks since my knee injury and I'm still progressing very slowly. Today I ran my typical four miler.

8:00 a.m. 4 miles. Out and back on Torrey Pines Road (partially traverses the Las Vegas Marathon route). Time, 39:10. Overall pace: 9:47. Partly Cloudy, 48 degrees, Wind north at 3 mph. Ideal running weather! Average heart rate 142 bpm (note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) No aches nor pain on right knee!!

I've been wearing a Cho-Pat knee strap that has been doing wonders for my running as it prevents the pain I've been having when I go downhill...especially crossing over the 95 HWY overpass on Torrey Pines Road.

This week's daytime temperature will be in the mid 60's, which is unusually warm for this time of year!!!

I'll continue to run four milers for the rest of the week, but this coming weekend will attempt to start increasing mileage for a "Long Run." I'll start slowly with a five miler for my first longer run and build weekly from there.

Yesterday was the last day of the huge Consumer Electronic Show, I expect to take many conventioneers to the airport today, but the rest of the week should be very slow cab business as no large conventions will be in town.

I find my new hours 12:00 p.m. through 12:00 a.m. much busier than my previous shift of 2:00 p.m. through 2:00 a.m. as business dies after 11:00 p.m. as many conventioners go to sleep early. Another advantage of my new work hours is that I come home earlier, get to sleep sooner, and awake at a decent time for my run.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Hey there! I am so happy to hear that your training is progressing well!

Sounds like you have some beautiful weather!! I am jealous. :) Friday's high is supposed to be 5....too cold to run outside for sure. :(

Kim said...

Glad to see you're making progress! Keep yourself healthy!

Tanya said...

Good job, Bruce. Enjoy your good weather, too-we're having a heat wave here as well, it was almost 80 yesterday, and today will be warm as well. and I'm glad the new work shift is working for you-you need your rest!

greentigress said...

Had weather like that today here! I think i prefered it when it was cold!! Sunshine was nice tho! :-)