Monday, January 26, 2009

New Las Vegas Marathon Route?

Daily Quote: "Will there be a new course? Yes, the course will be different from the former Las Vegas Marathon. We will announce the new course information as soon as it is confirmed. The Rock ‘n’ Roll Las Vegas Marathon and Half Marathon are currently planned to start together on Las Vegas Boulevard near Mandalay Bay and both finish in the Mandalay Bay Parking lot." --Rock n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon website

The Las Vegas Marathon has a new name, the "Rock n' Roll Las Vegas Marathon," due to new owners, The Competitor Group (CGI) and the marathon date is the same, December 6th, 2009. I'm looking forward to seeing what consists the new route, although it still starts and ends at Marathon Bay Hotel & Casino. Thanks to Running Bob who wrote to me of the new marathon site yesterday.

Today is another Easy Run of five miles as I attempt to slowly rebuild my base in time for the "Labor of Love 50k Race" on April 25th.

9:00 a.m. Easy Run. 5 miles. Time, 47:20. Overall pace, 9:28 minute miles. Out and back on Torrey Pines Road that partially traverses the old Las Vegas Marathon route. Partly Cloudy, 42 degrees, winds NW at 7 mph. Average heart rate 141 bpm. Cardiac drift 145 bpm.

Body felt chilly as I only wore shorts and a singlet as the weather had been rather warm lately and didn't dress for today's cooler temperatures. My hands were freezing! I can't even imagine how my running friends up North can handle much colder temperatures. My right knee is fine, no aches nor pain, and I didn't wear a knee strap!

1 comment:

lifestudent said...

Rock & Roll Marathon bought our local 1/2 in Chicago too!

I'd be interested in seeing if the route for the LV Marathon changes. When I ran it I wasnt overly impressed with the route - but not sure if there were better options. If they do something cool with it I would be lured to do it again (or maybe the 1/2?)