Daily Quote: "You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy." --Arthur Ashe
Today I've returned to my habit of running at 9:00 a.m. I felt a little tired as I only slept a fitful six hours last night.
Location: 24 Hour Fitness on Rainbow & Alta.
Run: Precor Treadmill set at a 1% Grade. Warmup: 10 minutes at 3.5 mph. Run: 2.5 miles at 6.0 mph (10 minute mile) Cooldown: 10 minutes at 3.5 mph. Average heart rate 158 bpm. Cardiac Drift 179 bpm. (My maximum heart rate last year was 188 bpm) Shoes: ASICS Trainers. Effort was moderately hard. No aches nor pain (except for my puny shoulders).
I ran the same routine last Monday and my heart rate was in the low 140's with little cardiac drift. Why is my heart rates higher today?? Monday I had a full day of rest before Tuesday's 2.5 mile run, but yesterday I had an easy one mile recovery run combined with strenuous weight circuit training...am I not fully recovered from lifting weights? Could it be my current financial stresses, which made it difficult for me to sleep, created enough stress to alter my running heart rates? Maybe it was just an "off" day.
My shoulders are a tad sore, which made it difficult to keep me "running tall" as I wanted to hunch during the last mile of my run. Must keep my running form correct.
Tomorrow I'll do an easy one mile recovery run and return to weight circuit training. Hopefully Friday's 2.5 mile run will show better results; if not I may need to reduce my training, or repeat this weeks training the following week. Will continue to listen closely to my body's signals.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Bruce, as you know I've been taking my wakeup HR since I was in my early 40s. I found then, and it's true today, that if I'm tired, my HR will go up, and it may take a couple of weeks to come down, even though I get good sleep during those weeks. That is, one or two nights of sleep deficit or one or two days of over training will push my wakeup HR up, but it will take a week or more of rest before the HR comes down.
Post a Comment