Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Tempo Run Redux

Daily Quote:

"In 1979 I had the opportunity to meet with Arthur Lydiard. During our conversation he emphasized the importance of hill training. Lydiard had all his athletes, from marathoners like Barry Magee, 5,000m runner Murray Halberg, to 800m runners like Peter Snell, run hills during both the Base Building and Strength Building phases of their training. Don't increase your weekly mileage during the Strength Building phase, and the length of your long run should remain constant through this phase. Increase the number of hill workouts you do each week, as well as the number of hill repeats you do each session. Don't do more than 3 hill workouts per week and no more than 12 hill repeats per workout." --By Neil L. Cook, BS, MS, Med



Last week I didn't do a Tempo Run because of my Recovery Week, therefore, today was tempted to increase my distance, speed, or both. I decided for caution's sake I would just repeat my last Tempo Run's perimeters that was set on Wednesday, July 9, 2008.

9:15 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. Total Distance: 6 miles. Warm-up: 2 miles at 6.3 mph. Tempo: 3 miles at 7.6 mph. Cool-down: 1 mile at 6.3 mph. Average heart rate: 154 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 172 bpm. (Note: My maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) I had no soreness nor pain, heart rates were very good and within my zone...next week I'll increase the speed of my Tempo Run to 7.7 mph!

No comments: