Friday, July 18, 2008

2008 Boston Marathon Racers' Record Book

Daily Quote:
"A lot of sportswriting cliches are devoted to the idea that the underdog always has a chance. 'It ain't over 'till it's over.' 'On any given Sunday.' 'That's why they play the game.' While these lines have been worn out on baseball and football games, there may not be an athletic contest to which they better apply than the marathon. With the body being pushed to such extremes, the difference between the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat is the finest of lines, separated by one side stitch or muscle cramp or a second wind and stretched over 26.2 miles of unforgiving pavement."
--Marc Chalufour, Introduction from the "2008 Boston Marathon Racers' Record Book."

I was surprised this morning on receiving in my mailbox the unexpected bonus of a "2008 Boston Marathon Racers' Record Book!" What a nice souvenir of my Boston adventure!!

Today is a short General Aerobic Run as I'm in the middle of my Recovery Week.

9:30 a.m. General Aerobic Run. 7 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 3 miles at 6.3 mph and last four miles at 6.4 mph. Average heart rate: 142 bpm. Cardiac drift: 147 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart is 190 bpm). I had so much energy during my run I wanted to push myself, but I reigned myself back to my original plan of an easy General Aerobic Run as I must relax and totally recover before I start my next four week training block.

1 comment:

BeachRunner said...

What a cool souvenir. Good luck with the recovery as you prepare for your next training cycle.