"We runners place so much emphasis on training that the recovery from an event is virtually ignored in the discussions. It is my opinion that you need to train your body, not *only* to withstand the event, but you need to train your body to *recover* from that event, too. Thus, you need to "train your recovery" just as you train your effort."--Jay Hodde, Ultramarathoner
Wednesdays are normally my Tempo Runs, but due to my being in a Recovery Week I've opted for a General Aerobic Run done progressively.
9:45 a.m. General Aerobic Run. 8 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 2 miles @ 6.2 mph, 2 miles @ 6.3 mph, 2 miles @ 6.4 mph, and the last 2 miles @ 6.5 mph. Average heart rate: 149 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 155 bpm. I'm starting to feel like my old self, not dreading the workout and feeling strong and lively afterwards. My morning heart rate has improved as well, today it's 44 bpm. (Normally my morning heart rates are in the 38-42 bpm range).
Another factor that made today's run easier was last night I bought a new CD to listen during my workouts, Coldplay's "Viva La Vida" (or Death and All His Friends). The music is perfect for a Recovery Run or General Aerobic Run as it's not extremely fast paced, but rather moody and introspective yet delivers much punch as to be expected from a rock album. I was happily lost in the music as I pranced on the dreadmill.

No comments:
Post a Comment