Saturday, July 26, 2008

Long Term Goal

Daily Quote:
Before you begin training for an ultra, you need to have at least 3 consistent years of running experience. You should also have completed at least 3 marathons. Your marathon finishing times aren't important. Next, select a race and set a personal goal. Your goal may be just finishing the distance, completing the distance within a certain time, or racing to finish in the top ten. Unless you're a very experienced marathoner, your goal should be just to finish.
--By Neil L. Cook, BS, MS, Med

My long term goal is to finish my very first ultramarathon next year, which will be the "Labor of Love 50k Race" on April 26, 2009. I will have no time goals for my first ultramarathon. I've completed eight "Las Vegas Marathons" in a row and also ran the 2008 Boston Marathon. I've accomplished my previous goals of getting a Boston Qualifier (twice) and running the Boston Marathon this year...I now feel the need for something more challenging and bigger, hence I've decided on running a ultramarathon. My finishing this goal may result in running longer and harder ultramarathons in the future.

10:30 a.m. Recovery Run, 6 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. All six miles at 6.3 mph. (Pace, 9:31 minute miles). Average heart rate: 144 bpm. Cardiac Drift 149 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) I finished the run feeling invigorated and sweaty, had to change into a dry t-shirt before doing weights.

After my run accomplished my Weight Circuit Training that lasted about 35 minutes. I'm doing better on the Roman Chair, 2 sets, 10 reps, and hope to add more reps next time.

1 comment:

BeachRunner said...

You are ultra hardcore. Continued good luck with the training.