Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Clarence DeMar

Daily Quote:
"He (Clarence DeMar) wasn't a scientist who after long and thorough study came to the conclusion that twice-a-day workouts were the way to become a better marathoner. He was a printer who ran to and from work each day, a clean, dry shirt tucked under his arm. He found that twice-a-day workouts fit well into his workday world; on weekends he ran long. The mix allowed him to charge up a tremendous battery of strength and endurance, which served him well when he raced. It also allowed him to commute to and from work without having to pay for carfare. It would not be reaching to say that along with everything else, Clarence DeMar was a skinflint; he grew up poor, worked at a boys' home and never learned to waste his money."
--Rich Benyo, "Marathon & Beyond Magazine," May/June 2008 pg 8.

I've heard of Clarence DeMar as he had won the famed Boston Marathon seven times during the first half of the 20th century, but I didn't know about his running back and forth to work! I wonder how far Clarence had to run to work? I live 8.5 miles from Checker Cab's yard and could run back and forth from work in the fall-spring, but not practical in the hot summer months. I've often wonder how I could increase my mileage working 12-hours days as a cab driver and Clarence DeMar's training is the answer! Plus, with gas prices eventually reaching the $5.00 mark I could save some bucks as well...I could be saving "green" both in money and the environment at the same time. What do you think?

Today is a scheduled Tempo Run and decided to run the exact format as last week.
10:00 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. Total Distance: 6 miles. Warm-up: 2 miles at 6.3 mph. Tempo: 3 miles at 7.5 mph. Cool-down: 1 mile at 6.3 mph. Average heart rate: 157 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 172 bpm. (Note: My maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) I didn't suffer any aches nor soreness, and my right ankle feels fine! My heart rate numbers are a tad lower and may increase my speed to 7.6 mph next Wednesday. I admit I was very tired after my run and took a much needed one-hour nap after a small lunch of Ham & Cheese Lean Pocket.

4 comments:

Sherri said...

I think I would have to have a shower if I ran to work. And then, how would you do any errands afterwards. But cool concept. great way to get in extra miles! You should give it a try.

robison52 said...

Howdy Sherri!
The company yard does have a bathroom with many stall, so I could take a sponge bath, or perhaps "a French shower" (mucho perfume!)" I hate errands anyways :)

The Running Bob said...

What about buying a commuter bike or a cycling bike -- could start training for tri-athlon, too!

My wife and I now bike to work and grocery store. It's helped a great deal when I can't get out for a run, at least I know I biked. We're a one car family now and save money on gas and maintenance.

Here's a great website, Paul Dorn's Bike Commuting tips, http://www.runmuki.com/commute/

Oh yea, our rides are not all out but more of a quick relaxing pace. Sweating hasn't been an issues, hence showers haven't been necessary yet. Our place of employment is considering installing showers for employees, though.

robison52 said...

I'm a horrible swimmer, hence I haven't even considered doing triathlons, but I do enjoy my bike! Las Vegas is not a friendly biking town, not enough curb for bikes as cars are King here...not to mention Vegas is a 24-hour drinking town and even those in cars are not safe!

This fall I could alternate riding the bike every other day to work until my body adapts to the extra mileage. I'll definitely will look up Paul Dorn's website tomorrow when I awake...