"A long run is any run of 17 miles or longer. The intention of long runs is (obviously) to improve your endurance in preparation for the marathon's 26.2 miles. To gain the most from your long runs, do them at the correct intensity. Long runs shouldn't be slow jogs during which you just accumulate time on your feet. The most beneficial intensity range for your long runs is 10 to 20 percent slower than your goal marathon pace."--Pete Pfitzinger and Scott Douglas, from their book, "Advanced Marathoning."
Today as according to the above quote is my first "official" long run since running the 2008 Boston Marathon. My marathon goal pace for the Las Vegas Marathon will be 8:00 minute miles...hence, the early part of my long runs (20% slower than goal pace) should be 9:36 minute miles (or 6.3 mph on the treadmill). The latter part of my long runs (10% slower than goal pace) should be 8:48 minute miles (or 6.8 mph on the treadmill). I'll be running close to the recommended paces, but will eventually be adding marathon pace (8:00 minute miles) when I'm within ten weeks to the Las Vegas Marathon date.
I went to bed earlier than normal with my wife as she has to awake earlier to train a new employee at her work, therefore I awoke earlier too!
8:15 a.m. Long Run, Progressive. 17 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 4 miles at 6.3 mph, 4 miles at 6.4 mph, 4 miles at 6.5 mph, 4 miles at 6.6 mph, and last mile at 6.7 mph. Average heart rate: 149 bpm. Cardiac Drift 155 bpm. I'll eventually reach 10% slower than marathon pace in my upcoming Long Runs as I gradually increase my mileage. Body felt very strong, no aches nor pain, but the last mile was mentally tough as I was getting bored out of my mind! Listened to the CD "Phil Collins Greatest Hits," which has a beat that's way too slow...I need more upbeat music!
Since I finished my long run sooner than usual, I was able to catch up on reading my fellow runner's blogs. I now have over 40 blogs that I've subscribed as feeds...thankfully most don't post regularly or I wouldn't have time to run!

1 comment:
Wow. Great job on the long run.
Post a Comment