Monday, July 7, 2008

15 Miler!

Daily Quote:
"The long run is what puts the tiger in the cat."
--Bill Squires

Today is a 15 miler that is my longest run since the 2008 Boston Marathon.

9:45 a.m. Medium-Long Run, progressive. 15 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. 5 miles at 6.3 mph, 5 miles at 6.4 mph, and 5 miles at 6.5 mph. Average heart rate: 154 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 165 bpm. Gym was HOT and sticky. I'm so happy I brought extra water with my usual bottle of Gatorade as I needed every last drop. I was so soaking wet that my chest was rubbed raw, I'll need to use Body Glide during next week's planned 16-miler.

My base building is coming along faster than last year because my training hasn't been broken up by tapering and recovering from shorter races. Last year I tried to race myself to fitness with shorter races, which was fun, but might not be as productive for marathons and ultra marathons.

I'm going to take a short nap before work, it's going to be a very slow work night, which is common after a three day holiday weekend. I might try to walk around the airport's cab holding area throughout the night as I await fares coming to Vegas.

6 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Great job on the 15 miler. My gym was hot the other day too. You know energy prices are high when gyms everywhere are turning down their A/C.

lifestudent said...

Totally unrelated...but I wish I was in Vegas right now :)

Sherri said...

goodness. 15 miles on a dreadmill. you are one dedicated dude!! After my half yesterday, I can't imagine doing 16 miles ever! lol

robison52 said...

Howdy beachrunner! Yup, it's cruel when gyms turn down A/C across the country to save money due to the high price of energy. I'm thinking about purchasing one of those bandanas that has beads within that you can freeze in the fridge. Should help keep me cool.

robison52 said...

Howdy lifestudent! You could always return in December and clobber that 5:21 Las Vegas Marathon record!!

robison52 said...

Howdy Sherri! It's take a special kind of insanity to run over two hours on the dreadmill!!

You'll be surprised how far you'll be able to run in the future, just take baby steps-baby steps and sixteen miles will be a breeze! What is your next big goal? I'm big on goals as it keeps me motivated and on course.