Thursday, July 17, 2008

Another Shorter Recovery Run

Daily Quote:
I always feel bad when runners I coach seem ashamed to admit that they've been doing some of their runs on the treadmill. I explain to them that they should pat themselves on the back for making a smart decision. When the weather is hot and the humidity is high, the gym is a much safer place to do your workouts than the great outdoors. No one is going to win any medals for putting themselves at risk for dehydration, heat exhaustion, and other heat-related illnesses by running outside on a hot, humid day. If you run inside, you'll probably do a more quality run and, as an added bonus, there's no sunscreen required!
--Christine Luff, Running Guide at running.about.com

Another Shorter Recovery Run, I'm currently in the middle of my Recovery Week and my body is recovery very well as my morning heart rate has returned to 41 bpm! (my normal morning heart rates are in the 38-42 bpm range)

10:15 a.m. Recovery Run, 5 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. All five miles at 6.2 mph. Average heart rate: 140 bpm. Cardiac Drift 144 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) My body is adapting to recovery so well I may need to raise the treadmill's speed to 6.3 mph for Recovery Runs as to keep my heart rate in the zone. Listened to Coldplay's "Viva La Vida" again during workout.

Immediately after running I headed straight for the machines and did my usual 30 minutes of Weight Circuit Training.

3 comments:

Sherri said...

I agree with that quote about running on treadmills. IF you can stand the boredom. I may have to do that though because the heat is putting a dent in my runs. I haven't run yet since my half over a week ago. But we were on vacation. You had asked what my next Goal would be, probably a duathalon and another half in Dallas in December. Yep, Timothy is rather "buff" - translate thin. He eats like a horse, but with all the running, he's thin but muscular especially in the legs. I have pictures from the race where the look on his face is just like "shoot me now"! I love the comparison of those pictures of "agony" in mile 20 something with the "thrill" of the finish pictures. So happy to get those shots.

BeachRunner said...

Nice job today and I like today's quote.

Anonymous said...

The quote is so true. Nice job on the recovery run. Looks like everything you are doing during the other weeks is really paying off.