"I've always had trouble getting myself to do other than run as I feel and avoid things like speed work, etc.. However, this summer, preparing for the VT100, I decided to do some quad specific training. I found a quarter-mile hill, paved and with about three different pitches, and spent an hour once a week speed walking up and running down at a good pace. Not only did it strengthen my quads, but it gave me some pre-race walking practice, which I also generally avoid."--Ralph Swenson, Ultramarathoner
I studied the elevation chart of "Labor of Love 50k" last week, therefore, I've been thinking often about hill work this week. I normally run just one marathon per year, which is usually the "Las Vegas Marathon" and the course is as flat as a pancake, needless to say, I'm a bit nervous about hills.
Lydiard would have his runners in hilly environments, and in the past I've used Lydiard's hill phase which follows the base phase and lasts four weeks that incorporates bounding as well as hill repeats. Nevertheless, the "Las Vegas Marathon" is in December and the "Labor of Love 50k" is next April. As usual, Allen has given me excellent advice:
"Walking up and running down the hills sounds like a good strategy. Like you've said many times to beginners, your first time will be for experience not for speed. Since you'll be running the Vegas marathon in December, you might want to wait until after that to practice your hill strategy for the Ultra."
So, I'll concentrate on first things first, prepare for my best "Las Vegas Marathon" yet and strive for another personal record, then after the marathon, work on preparing for the hilly "Labor of Love 50k" race.
Today is Wednesday, that means it's Tempo day!!
8:45 a.m. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. Total Distance: 6 miles. Warm-up: 2 miles at 6.3 mph. Tempo: 3 miles at 7.6 mph. Cool-down: 1 mile at 6.3 mph. Average heart rate: 159 bpm. Cardiac Drift: 175 bpm. (Note: My maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) I had increased my speed from 7.5 mph and therefore my heart rate is a little higher than last week's Tempo Run, but still within my zone. No aches nor pain and I plan on running this same Tempo Run next week...once my body adapts and my Tempo Run's heart rates get lower, I'll increase the speed again.




2 comments:
Nice job on the run. Treadmill runs for me are torture.
Great "Tempo" on the ole (Dreadmill).... About running with water carriers. I always use one when I'm running longer and have no access at all to any water. such as the Creeper Trail. When I run close to home I usally stop a moment if I get thirsty, and step inside for a quick drink. When I first got a water-pack many years ago I hated it at first, but after I finally got used to it I love it on my long runs. About Andrew. I'm very proud of him. when "Andrew" says thanks Dad for taking me out for another run. I return with (No thank you for taking me out for another run). Andrew usually lasughs, and says okay man!!!!
....You are a fine inspiration too. Keep up the good work, and like you say so many times Happy Trails....
Your Friend,
Jimmy....
Post a Comment