Thursday, July 24, 2008

Ice, Ice, Baby


Daily Quote:


"Take an ice bath - from your hips down - after every hard workout, long run or race. This will reduce intra-muscular fluids and swelling and close down capillaries. It also reduces post-exercise soreness and eliminates delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Fill the bathtub with enough water to cover you up to your naval, then dump in enough ice cubes to cover the bottom of the tub. Sit in the ice cold water for 10 minutes. Initially the shock of sitting in the cold water will take your breath away, but within a few minutes you'll become numb to the cold."

-- Neil L. Cook, BS, MS, Med

I've taken cold baths like the above quote, but now prefer using the shower's massage head where I set the massage function at its highest, strongest setting and with cold water massage legs, which I find does a better job with less time.

10:30 a.m. Recovery Run, 6 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. All six miles at 6.3 mph (Pace: 9:31 minute miles). Average heart rate: 143 bpm. Cardiac Drift 148 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) My new speed of 6.3 mph for a Recovery Run is working well, I'm in the zone and the run feels comfortably easy.

Immediately after my run I accomplished my usual Weight Circuit Training that lasted about 30 minutes, but today I've added the Roman Chair/Hyperextension Stand to my routine, I only did one set, ten reps for now. See photo for Roman Chair, note: the photo is not me (I wish!) This isn't the first time I've tried the Roman Chair as I attempted to add it to my routine last year, but stopped after one week of suffering...I would get dizzy on the down dips and afterwards would have nausea. I still have the negative symptoms today, but will attempt to tough it out for fitness sake, nevertheless, the Roman Chair will be my very last routine during the Weight Circuit Training so I can complete all the other exercises in case of nausea.






4 comments:

lifestudent said...

My tub is a big jaccuzi tub and it would take me about 50 lbs of ice to fill up the bottom ... the ice bath just never works for me ;)

Anonymous said...

I had to do the Roman Chair exercises when I played soccer in college. It is definitely a good exercise, but I can see how you may get dizzy. Make sure you are breathing correctly when doing them and try not to send force to your head (if that makes sense).

BeachRunner said...

My wife swears by ice baths.

Sherri said...

My son does the ice baths and says they are great! I haven't been brave enough to try them.