Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Shorter Recovery Run

Daily Quote:
Don't be too proud to run very slowly in your recovery runs, as Kenya's runners are famous for doing. Even very slow running counts as pre-fatigued running practice that will yield improvements in your running economy, and running very slowly allows you to run longer without sabotaging your next key workout.
--Matt Fitzgerald

Today is a shorter Recovery Run than usual as I strive to fully recover this week and get my morning heart rates lower--today my morning heart rate was better, 49 bpm, but still room for improvement (My normal morning heart rates are around 38-42 bpm).

9:15 a.m. Recovery Run, 5 miles. Life Fitness Treadmill set at a 1% grade. All five miles at 6.2 mph. Average heart rate: 142 bpm. Cardiac Drift 147 bpm. (Note: my maximum heart rate is 190 bpm) No aches nor pain, but I did get dizzy as I tried to watch "Escape to Alcatraz Triathlon" on the gym's console above the treadmills. I feel like such a wimp when I suffer from motion sickness!

2 comments:

BeachRunner said...

Nice job on the recovery run. That stinks about the motion sickness. I wonder if the dizziness is exacerbated due to the height of the tv screen above the treadmill. Are you forced to look up to view it? Perhaps if you were able to looking straight ahead to view the screen you wouldn't get as dizzy. Just a thought.

robison52 said...

I've suffered from motion sickness all my life, whether from boats, airplanes, watching movies filmed with a hand camcorder, reading while moving, and sitting in the back seat of a car. I would probably get motion sickness from watching the gym's t.v. console at any height as well. From what I've read motion sickness occurs because of excessive stimulation of the semicircular canals, a pair of minute organs located within the inner ears. I've learned to live with the symptoms, although my life loves to tease me when I get motion sickness during action movies.